liming and manuring

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground liming and manuring

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Test Order
    Keymaster

Had my allotment for a year now. Just cleared some raised beds of crops. They need liming but also need some well rotted manure that I have. Should I manure first which will prevent weeds germinating, and lime at a later date?
    Thanks
    Ivor

charles

Are you sure lime is needed, have you checked pH? I think it is often used when not needed and have never noticed, for example, that using manure and compost "makes ground more acidic", as is often claimed.
    However if you soil pH is below 6 ( a rare occurrence!), I would lime then spread manure

ipt8

Yes we measured the ph taking samples across the plot and it is 5.5.

We live in Surrey and the soils are green sands. The allotment I would describe as a clay loam. It does vary a bit across the site as parts had been worked, other areas were wild raspberries and a dead sloe bush which we winched out.

clive f

Charles all the gardening books tell us never to lime and add manure at the same time as this can cause a chemical reaction and it is best to leave 3 months between liming and manuring, whats your thoughts on this ?

charles

Clive, thanks for raising this, please see my reply to your ‘Manure question’. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags