Liming?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SpadelessAde 12 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Hi Charles, I wonder whether you lime the soil for any veg please?

charles

Soil pH here is over 7, i.e. alkaline, so lime is unnecessary. If you suspect acid soil, buy a cheap testing kit and you may need to lime but generally it is unlikely.

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Ah I see – I thought the manure would make it more acid, but have never got round to checking with a testing kit although thought about it often!
    By the way, since coming on your course at the end of Feb, and subsequently covering all the beds with own garden compost/manure, it’s all looking great and just ready for everything to go in when it’s the right time. Got a few things in like broad beans (overwintered plus some spring sown) and lettuces, parsnips and carrots starting to germinate, plus the permanent stuff like fruit etc. I’ve also turned over a ‘waste’ bit at the side, that used to grow just weeds, to wild flowers – after watching Sarah Raven’s prog on the TV, to encourage the pollinating insects as well as hopefully give a lovely display. I feel so much more confident after your course Charles, thank you so much!

charles

Great that you are enjoying the garden so much.
    I am puzzled by the comments one hears about manure creating acidity, it certainly hasn’t here! I think it is a misunderstanding arising from the fact that chemical fertilisers, which can cause acidity, are sometimes called manures.

SpadelessAde
    Participant

That’s interesting – I think I really will have to check the pH of the soil! Thank you for that information Charles.
    Adrienne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags