Logs as sides for raised beds

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Logs as sides for raised beds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gary.J.Kelsey 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Participant

We had a smaller pine tree topple in a wind storm as well as a large branch off a weeping willow. Rather than chopping the trunks into rounds, I was thinking of stacking 2 of these narrow trunks on top of each other to create a side for a raised bed. This rather than buying wood…has anybody used narrow round logs?

Also, how high should we be raising these beds? My beds are mostly flat as I was using Charles’ method from some years back recommending flat. Without sides to raised beds, they seem to flatten out over summer and the compost and topsoil just end up in path.

Beth
    Participant

Just wanted to add that I have 5 hens and would like to occasionally let them out on my garden beds. Having sides helps keep them from totally flattening the bed. I was thinking of raising the bed only 6″. They primarily seem interested in scratching for bugs. I don’t know if they are considered to destructive in their scratching for no-dig philosophy…

charles

Yes Beth if you are letting hens near the beds, sides makes sense!
    Its kind of no dig with hens … and they find some bugs such as woodlice, which may congregate near to wooden sides.

Gary.J.Kelsey
    Participant

Hope it is going well beth. From experience, I would worn against letting your chickens near your beds, they are a nightmare. They eat crops and also dig them out of the ground. Mine are now in a large (5m x 5m) chicken run.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags