Long-Term Mulching Procedure?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Long-Term Mulching Procedure?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 11 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Having obtained an allotment back in September of last year, I have since covered approximately three fifths of it with compost/ manure and then 800 gauge black plastic sheeting. This is primarily to combat rampant horsetail and bindweed that had, unfortunately for me, had a fantastic time over the previous couple of seasons!

I intend to leave this mulch in place for a minimum of a growing season, possibly even two, so as to really knock the stuff back. Following a careful digging over, I can now crop the remaining two fifths.

Is there any benefit, regards weakening the weeds, in occasionally pulling back the long-term mulch sheeting and pulling/ trowelling out the white anaemic looking growth etc. or would this actually be counter-productive?! Following this I would put the mulch back in place.

I also wondered if, when rain is forecast, an occasional pulling back of the sheeting to let rain water in would be helpful to soil life etc.?

Many thanks for any insight here. Tris

charles

You sound well on top of a difficult weed situation.

If the soil was fully moist when covered, which it probably was after last year’s weather, there is probably little benefit in it being rained on again, nor would trowelling of the light-deprived roots make a difference under 800 guage polythene which should be dark (thick) enough to exhaust weed roots of light.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for your help, as always.

I’ll leave the mulch in place then save for adding any additional organic matter that comes to hand, if I go with the two season approach, which is probable due to the weeds prior domination of a large area.

I chose the 800 gauge sheeting to really cut out all light, as opposed to the membrane stuff which does let a little in. For those it may help, the 800 gauge plastic is pretty tough stuff; certainly strong enough to walk carefully over without ripping and, providing it doesn’t go brittle over the next couple of years, should last a long time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags