Maincrop potatoes vs Sweet Potatoes….

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Maincrop potatoes vs Sweet Potatoes….

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

Charles

There is much written praising the nutritional value of sweet potatoes. Also, suggestions that it does better during heat than traditional spuds.

I was wondering if you have any views on whether Sweet Potatoes grow well in southern England, whether yields are equivalent to maincrop potatoes and whether they are less susceptible to disease in general and blight in particular.

I am thinking about future years, rather than 2018, but it may be of interest to others for this year too…

charles

Possibly they are viable in the more tropical parts of GB such as London and the SE.
    In Somerset in the hot summer of 2013 I grew 3 plants, all undercover, for a total harvest of a mere 2.6kg. I was not impressed, also in view of the whole season needed, and the cost of the slips.
    Instead of sweet potatoes I love to grow Charlotte second early potatoes for double the yield and maturing in half the time, so I can grow another crop in the same season.
    For you in London, the yield and time trade-off may be worth it if you value the flavour and nutrition sufficiently.

charles

Possibly they are viable in the more tropical parts of GB such as London and the SE.
    In Somerset in the hot summer of 2013 I grew 3 plants, all undercover, for a total harvest of a mere 2.6kg. I was not impressed, also in view of the whole season needed, and the cost of the slips.
    Instead of sweet potatoes I love to grow Charlotte second early potatoes for double the yield and maturing in half the time, so I can grow another crop in the same season.
    For you in London, the yield and time trade-off may be worth it if you value the flavour and nutrition sufficiently.

Rhys
    Participant

Well that was what I was wondering about! I got that yield last year from three first early potatoes grown in 10 litre pots by the middle of June! And they were effectively free as they were the extras not needed to be sown in the ground….

Agree with you about second earlies: I have grown Charlotte and Estima happily in the past.

Sounds like a crop for a 500sqm allotment, not a 50sqm back garden….I will stick with Desiree and Sarpo Mira giving me 100lb+ in 5-7.5sqm….

Dalesman
    Participant

I grow sweet potatoes in 40 litre bags and, so far, the yield has benn abysmal. Don’t try unless you relish a challenge and have time and space to spare.
    Three difficulties are lack of hot summers, short seasons and critters that come and get the crop before you can.
    This year I’ve overwintered some cuttings and plants(last years with crop removed then re-potted) to allow maximum growing time. (Bought slips sent out in May are too late imoh.) They started to look sad at year end but perked up under lights alongside overwintered tomatoes. Incidentally, I left one flower on a Rosada which has now developed into a surprisingly ripe fruit.
    All I need now is a long hot summer and some wire netting – not much to ask for….

MJSJ
    Participant

Hi I cannot find a new topic button so I’m hoping that someone can help here..I had some long sprouts on some early seed potatoes that I removed & put in a little water to grow on &for my grandson to watch now do you think they can grow any potatoes like sweet potato slips? or will there not be enough energy as no seed potato attached ??
    Thanks Mandy

charles

Hi MJSJ, go to Forums and choose one of the three themes eg preparing ground, then you see new topic button at top.
    On you potato shoots, they may regrow slowly.
    More for interest than being worthwhile. A simpler way to increase your potato plantings is to cut seed potato in nalf, lengthwise usually.

MJSJ
    Participant

Thanks Charles my grandson is very excited by the prospect of potatoes I didnt want it to be a complete failure ! But I think his own tuber in a pot might be a good idea just in case . A future no digger in the making !
    Thanks for the posting advice too.

Sandra
    Participant

Hi everyone, I am 1,000 ft up on a North Wales mountain and was intrigued to see sweet potato for sale in the local garden centre last year and they were the biggest disappointment that I have ever had, never, ever again.

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Not sure where you are Dalesman, but In SE London I got a crop last year…. just.
    Likewise, the supplied slips were too late, and, likewise, I’ve overwintered my own which is very easy to do. They just sit in a state of suspended animation on the windowcill until March when they start to wake up.
    An Asian chap on our allotments advised me that the tubers only form very late in the season and continue to swell up to a week after the top growth may have been killed off.
    So this year I am:
    1) starting them off early, pinning down the growth to encourage a bigger root ball.
    2) starting them off in the greenhouse in big pots until they start going beserk, and
    3) going to fleece them at the back end of the year to extend the season as long as possible.

charles

The last two posts here make the point elegantly: sweet potatoes enjoy the warmth of SE London but not the cool of a Welsh hillside.
    Even here in mild (but rarely hot) Somerset, they grew poorly. It’s good to try things and I always encourage that but for the main part, and to eat well, I find it most worthwhile to grow the staples: veg that are traditional to my region.
    And with no dig, that is easier and gives good yields.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags