Making compost that is as 'chemical-free' as possible

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Making compost that is as 'chemical-free' as possible

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JD 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Busybee
    Participant

I have just started out growing my own fruit and veg in my small plot, as organically as possible, partly because I have a lot of allergies and I react to many chemicals. I have been trying to find compost that is safe for me to use and have struggled, for example even some of the ‘greener’ makes incorporate green-waste from sources that are not guaranteed chemical-free, and many are labelled organic, but just mean they are made of organic-material not that they are suitable for use in organic-systems. I have decided the way forward is to make my own and am interested in using an insulated hotbin method. However, I know you are supposed to add card and paper but I wish to avoid using these as I react badly to newsprint and other chemicals that are used in their manufacture. Does anyone have any advice on using a hotbin system but adding alternatives to paper and card? Or has anyone been trying to find compost for the same reasons and found a solution?!

fzjohnson
    Participant

I know you know about the green (nitrogen) and brown (carbon) alternating layers, but some items are both green and brown. Coffee grounds might do the trick for you. I believe Starbucks only has organic coffee now, but you might wish to check this. They give it away for free. For brown/carbon items that aren’t newspaper or cardboard … what about a small amount of ash? You would need to burn your own non-chemical/clean fuel but it might be worth a go. Clean (as in ‘no added chemicals’) wood shavings such as the hypoallergenic ones used for animal bedding perhaps? There are also Autumnal leaves (fully brown ones). How do any of these sound to you?

Wellies
    Participant

I use loads of cardboard in our composting. It is part of the brown bit of the mix of greens and browns.
    I use cardboard, straw, old hay, woodchip etc in my compost. I guess you could just increase the amount of the other brown ingredients.

Busybee
    Participant

Hi thanks Fzjohnson and Wellies for your replies and ideas – yes, think I’ll go for increasing the other brown ingredients, and I hadn’t thought about coffee grinds or ash. I’ve started to collect up the brown garden waste so I can build up a stock. I’ve also found composted fine bark that is additive-free but guess that’ll be like adding wood-shavings/chips and am thinking I can use that too. Seems as if there must be a way to make a hotbin work with alternative brown ingredients.

JD
    Participant

Hi Busybee, how’s the hotbin going? I have usually found it quite tricky in the past to get the right mix of ingredients without it all descending into a smelly mess. I think the purpose of the large quantity of paper added is to absorb excess water as it’s produced as well as being a ‘brown’, that’s why you’re told to add more if the compost becomes anaerobic. I have found it to be hugely beneficial this time to use a compost aerator of a corkscrew design and to use it on a fairy regular basis. My compost is chugging along at 60 C at the moment. I hope you manage to find suitable substitutes. All the best
    Jan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags