Making plans for next season

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Making plans for next season

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Converted no digger 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Converted no digger
    Participant

Hi Charles I was lucky to come across one of your videos a few years ago and decided to give no dig a try. I did do a once off dig to get out weeds and the ground had lots of stones so I took them out while I was at it and the soil was very compacted. This is my second summer at no dig now still learning and I dont think I could ever go back to the way I used to do things. I am a big believer in working with nature so this way of gardening made sense straight away.

The last two winters I covered the beds with plastic and in spring the manure was perfect for growing into. The only problem is slugs under the plastic. It has taken months to get them under some bit of control again but the area had a big problem to begin with. I am just wondering what your opinion is on not covering the beds this winter? The manure will be about 7 months old when I will be putting it on for the winter and I am in the south west of Ireland its the amount of rain we get that I am a bit worried about.

Is a green manure on the farm yard manure a good idea or maybe a layer of grass cuttings on top or some seaweed? Im not sure.

And thanks for passing on this great way of gardening.

charles

Thanks for your comment.
    Slugs is why I do not recommend polythene mulch over winter.
    But 7 month old manure may contain uncomposted straw, another slug habitat.. Green manures too.
    Ideally add the compost when a year older . Then it does not act as slug habitat, nor does it leach nutrients in rain.

Converted no digger
    Participant

Ok Charles. Thats good to know. I need to see if I can find some older manure for this winter so and I will have my supply composted for the proper length of time then after that.

Thank you for the reply

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags