Mare's tail.

Community Community Garden Problems Weeds Mare's tail.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gwynleg 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

snoop2048
    Participant

Does horse/mare’s tail actually have a dramatic negative affect on a bed of vegatables? It doesn’t take up much room or cast much of a shadow. And can’t consume too much water given I’ve seen it growing out of concrete :). I have it all over my plot, every bed pretty much. I just pull it when I see it which tends to be about 15cm high. Maybe 4 or 5 shoots a week in every bed. I’ve kinda come to like it weirdly, especially as my real enemy is bindweed which I also have everywhere :). That is far more a pain.

Gwynleg
    Participant

It’s funny but Ive sort of grown to feel the same about bindweed (I dont have mares-tail)! Since starting my new allotment with no-dig, I spend some time whenever there, using a trowel to take out the bindweed. I almost like seeing it because I think ‘haha, I’m going to get the better of you!’.

I have however found it much more difficult when it comes up in beds with perennial plants. I held off planting perennials in those beds in the hope I could knock the bindweed on the head, but eventually i had to plant. It’s much harder to get out when its within the roots of wanted plants but I guess I will just have to pull it out as soon as I see it.

I dont want marestail though, however much you like it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags