Melons – pruning and pinching out

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Melons – pruning and pinching out

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi Charles,

First time growing vertical sweetheart melons so just need some advice –

Melons are over my head now and i’ve been pinching out all side shoots up till about chest height, and now have been letting them grow on,

Baby melons now growing and i’m pinching out the stem after one melon is set on each side shoot.

Should I only let 5 or so melons grow on each plant? If so,  lower or higher up the plant , as there are more than 5 side shoots per plant above 1.2m as the plants are so tall!

Should i pinch out the growing tips now? and then remove all side shoots apart from the ones growing melons?

I would have thought we want minimum side shoots with melons and maximum leaf to make the fruit we let grow, grow well

many thanks

Dan

charles

So far so good. From what you say here, your melons are growing from about knee high to chest high which is fine. They hang lower while swelling and gaining weight.

Yes I would pinch out the top shoot now and all new shoots. That still leaves enough leaves for good photosynthesis.

I find that 5 or 6 melons is as many as plants can bring to a good size with sweet flavour. One can have a few later, smaller ones but they taste rather of cucumber.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags