mildew

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I have mildew on my lambs lettuce, caused I think by the dry spell in sept/oct, which I thought would clear up as they grwe on, however ti does not appear to be doing so. Im wondering if I should take off some of the worst affected leaves in the hope that new ones coming through will be mildew free?

Charles – hope that the RHS show was a big success?

charles

Lambs lettuce does not like dry conditions, so that did cause the mildew. It sounds bad enough that you need to cut or clear the worst of the damage,, a long job. 

In future you could either sow a week or two later, or keep it watered. I sowed late (Pusar on Sep  6th) and its small but healthy. I was sent a pic from the Lake District of some huge and healthy lambs lettuce, helped I imagine by the extra moisture up there.

The show was good thanks, lots of keen gardeners, people loved the huge and beautiful sugarloaf chicory and Filderkraut cabbage.

bluebell
    Participant

I did sow a little early this year as last year I was a bit late – so over compensated! Also during the dry spell I was particually busy at work so had difficulty getting to the plot to water. One of the down sides of being employed.

Glad RHS show went well – hope youa re able to plan a little down time this week as you appear to have been doing a lot of ‘globe trotting’ lately.

bluebell
    Participant

Pleased to report that having neglected to find time to remove leaves, this weeks frost and rain appears to have done the trick for me :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags