Mulch Advice

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  baggins11 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

baggins11
    Participant

I bought in a couple of pallets of horse manure and mushroom compost and I am pleased with it but I wanted to do a few more beds and have run out of compost.

I have been offered some manure from a farmer but not sure if it is suitable to use straight away. They have told me it is well rotted and it is a nice dark colour but has the texture of very heavy clay with layers of straw stuck together. Very different to the stuff I bought in.

Do people actually sow or plant directly into manure like this? It is slightly more smelly than the stuff I bought in and I noticed a couple of tiny maggots in it.

charles

No this is not well rotted compost and I would not sow or plant into it.
    They were selling it…!

baggins11
    Participant

That’s what I suspected. Thanks so much Charles. I have some of your books and I hope to do a course eventually but I am still a complete beginner with lots to learn.

If I took some of the manure would I just leave it covered in plastic or would I need to turn it as you would with a compost heap? Also I know you haven’t seen it but usually how long would I need to wait before it is useable?

charles

Sounds like it needs air so fork it through and break open all the lumps then leave to compost, no polythene bags or cover, for up to a year, say next autumn at earliest.

baggins11
    Participant

Will do thanks Charles!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags