Mulch or seed on paths

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Mulch or seed on paths

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I plan to make no dig beds in a meadow by cutting the turf off the paths and placing it on the beds, then putting compost on top. Because this is for a school, the beds and path will both be 1m wide.

How do I stop the paths from weeding over? is it better to mulch (I have access to a LOT of lawn clippings) or seed with a green manure such as clover (which could be used as mulch in the summer)?

We get less rain by lake Geneva than in England, so mulching in the summer seems to make sense. Plus we need to reduce the watering. When do you put mulch on & at what thickness? Or will it just increase the slug population?

charles

Well one metre paths, that is a lot of mulching. And mulches do encourage slugs, though perhaps less in your drier climate.

So clover does make sense but… that means a lot of edging as it will alwys be growing into the beds. For a school project, some edging boards may be worth it, to define beds, helping children see them clearly and to keep path weeds/clover/grass in check. Then you could have mown clover, nice to walk on even in wet wether, when grass clippings may be soggy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags