Municipal compost.

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Municipal compost.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ocrowe
    Participant

Hi Charles and everyone

I was just wondering if there were any thoughts on starting no-dig bed using municipal compost. I know the ingredients vary depending on region and time of year but i think in general its going to have a very high wood content witch wont have properly composted just been broken up and become black. Im laying it now (End August) on cardboard ontop of conventional dug beds. So im wondering by next spring what i should expect. Im guessing that ill have to fertilizes with organic pellets in the spring?

charles

I did a trial in 2013, written up in New Veg Garden book, comparing onion growth in newly delivered green waste compared to old horse manure, and the onions were about half size in the green waste.
    Then in July I planted beetroot in both, and they grew bigger in the green waste compost bed.
    So your green waste compost delivered now will have decomposed much of it’s wood by next spring, should grow ok but a little lively compost on top will be good too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags