Mushroom

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Leif 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Leif
    Participant

Charles, I noticed on your site a reference to mushrooms. It is worth noting that inedible and posisonous mushrooms can grow in veg and flower beds. I recently found some Melanoleuca verrucipes among my strawberries, and they are going to Kew as it is a rare species. Edibility is unknown. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii is a spectacular tropical fungus I found in my indoor chilli pots. I have seen Macrolepiota species at Kew Gardens, possibly introduced on purpose. And I am sure Yellow Stainers, Agaricus xanthodermus, which look like supermarket mushrooms, could be found, and would give someone a nice stomach ache. You could also get some deadly Amanitas in undug beds, if trees are nearby, not to mention the deadly Clitocybe rivulosa. I have had wood blewits (edible) on my lawn, probably associated with a nearby hedge, and friends had some nice Agaricus species on a compost heap. It would be nice to hear if you only get edible Agaricus species, I am not sure what yours are from the photo, A. bisporus maybe. 

It is interesting that your no dig approach might be favourable to fungi. As you probably know, some fungi grow in association with shrubs and trees, the mycelium growing around the roots, fo years if not decades or even centuries, so no dig would allow the fungus to live undisturbed.

On a side note, my new no dig beds are soon to be spread with compost. The ones created earlier this year did okay with butternut squash, not so well with beetroot, but I have heard a lot of people had issues with beetroot this year, presumably due to a late season. Not having to dig was a welcome bonus.

charles

Yes no dig is highly favourable to soil mycelia and health of soil and plants. I am lucky those mushrooms are edible and delcious. Its good you know your fungi.

For beetroot, have you tried raising as multi-sown modules? It gets them off to a sure start. I find them straightforward, just be sure to sow Boltardy for early sowings until mid April.

Leif
    Participant

I have not tried modules except for chillis which I grow on a windowsill till frosts are past. I was going to start french beans in modules outdoors as last year flea beetle was so bad most of my peas were decimated. I will give them a go for beetroot, using my cold frame.

Leif
    Participant

Charles, thanks for the advice. Beetroot, sweetcorn and Pak Choi raised in modules in a coldframe are doing very well. Beans in modules have germinated. Pity I can’t do carrots etc the same way,.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags