Nematodes — The Good The Bad & The Ugly — Eel Worms

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Nematodes — The Good The Bad & The Ugly — Eel Worms

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  englishlady 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

englishlady

I knew I had read something about these worms in various old books, and actually found one which explains clearly that there are an unknown but massive variety of these worms  —  also called eel worms.

Two of them are responsible for the bulging bumps on roots of tomatoes and potatoes and the plants demise.  There are even varieties who live in the sea.

I still cannot tie down why the nematodes purchased by gardeners die out after a short time.  Unless it is that only one sex of nematodes are delivered, thus reducing the chance of increase in numbers to a far smaller amount.  From what I gather they are sexually reproducive rather than anything else.

Since they can be quite expensive, I thought it wise to try to find out why they dont just multiply and multiply.  I suppose there is a natural predator, but quite what that is when these little guys can eat snails and slugs, I dont know.

Just FYI

Julie

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags