nematodes

Community Community Garden Problems Pests nematodes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kate robinson 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Does anyone have experience of a thing called Slugsure T?? It contains tiny parasitic eel worms called Phasmarhabditis nematodes which live in the soil and get into the slugs and kill them….???

Pete Budd
    Participant

Tried some on my spuds a few years ago. It was expensive and time consuming, just another of those faffy jobs I could do without. I think you have to do it annually and the funny thing is I can`t remember if it helped reduce slug damage. Thing is resistance to slugs depends on variety and every season is different due to weather and other varaiables in the micro world in the soil. I woudn`t bother again and prefer to rely on good soil husbandry.

Cheers

Pete :-)

kate robinson
    Participant

Thanks Pete, that’s what I thought. Won’t bother!
    Kate

Stevie342000

Surely the point is that if you follow the No Dig approach you are building up predator/prey species and that purchasing Nematodes from a supplier is just a waste of money.

If your soil is healthy does it not beg the questions will the nematodes that prey on host species not build up naturally?

A fool and their money…….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags