New allotment

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  RandA 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

phil cardiff
    Participant

Hi all,

im new here (and new to allotments).

I have just taken on an allotment with the intention of growing mostly fruit – i have a young family, time is limited so i thought fruit would be the lowest maintenance for me.

I was lucky to get an allotment that already had quite a few fruit trees / bushes already in place
    – Blackcurrants
    – Brambles / blackberries
    – Some other type of currant.
    – Raspberries
    – An old gooseberry
    – A decent patch of Strawberries
    – A small apple tree
    – Rhubarb
    – Plum trees
    – Some herbs – mint and oregano, possibly some sage.
    Theres a picture attached
    Its also got a shed (albeit old and will need replacing in a year or two).

I have recently come across the no-dig method and was wondering how i could convert the allotment to no-dig and keep as many of the plants in place as possible. Now this may be a challenge as one thing i have learned about no-dig is the need for paths to allow access to beds so you dont walk on the soil that the plants are growing in. So some questions, which plants can i move?
    Do i am for a design approx like the plan attached?

phil cardiff
    Participant

Sorry, last sentence should read

Do i aim for a design approx like the plan attached?

Also, how do i convert the allotment to nodding while keeping as many of the plants in-situ as possible?

RandA
    Participant

Hi Phil from Cardiff we are very close to you near Llantwit major if you would like to see what we have done with no dig contact me on alileach@btinternet.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags