New allotment – advice greatly appreciated!

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground New allotment – advice greatly appreciated!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jensplot92
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My names Jen, I’ve recently taken over an allotment which needs some TLC.

I’ve been looking into no dig a few weeks now and have a couple of books on order, unfortunately the people who own the allotment site aren’t happy with plastic being put down to prevent weeds which was originally how I hoped to start off my no dig plot. I’m currently collecting a heap load of cardboard to place down to cover with compost but I’m concerned this won’t be enough to stop the weeds.

I’ve attached a few photos of the allotment currently which has a few Gooseberry, Blackcurrant and Raspberry plants with an abundance of weeds. I was hoping to cut back the weeds so the ground is level so the cardboard go down along with a thick layer of compost (not entirely sure how deep the compost will need to be, the allotment measures 958.75sqft and a few online calculators are giving me mixed messages!)

Any advice on where to begin would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Jen

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Jen, I could be wrong, but it looks like docks and dandelions are amongst the main perennials there. This is good news in a way, believe it or not! No bindweed or horsetail is real blessing.

Cardboard on a big section for mulching and digging a couple of beds over to get something in this year ASAP, could be a possible route. Good luck with it.

Jayjay
    Participant

Hi Jen, it’s great that you’ve got an allotment, it will open up a whole new world to you.
    I’ve found that the best and thickest cardboard for no dig is what bicycles are packed in. It doesn’t have a lot of printing ink on it, it’s really thick and when opened out, covers a large area.
    It’s best to take the sealing tape off it, (worms can’t digest it), also remove the staples with strong, long nosed pliers.
    No dig is the way to go – initially, it will take some effort, but in the end will save you time and effort – so start making your own compost, check out your nearest cycle shop and good luck with your plot 🙂
    Jeanette

Hazelky
    Participant

Hi Jen,
    Welcome. I started a new allotment last April and it was full of waist high nettles, thistles, dyers weld, couch grass and clover. I only used cardboard. I cut the weeds level and put cardboard on top with between 4and 6 inches of compost on top depending on what I was growing. The cardboard was free from Morrison’s. I collected their banana boxes daily and opened them up, using them double. I used them for the paths, too. I put branches on top to hold the cardboard down until it was well soaked and flat and had plenty of overlap. Some bits I pegged weed control fabric over to hold down the cardboard. Then I gradually made my beds and planted straightaway.

There is very little regrowth of the perennials. The odd nettle pokes through and the odd thistle, easy to remove. This season the cardboard has obviously composted as I can plant as deep as I want everywhere and still very few weeds are coming through. Hope this helps

Jensplot92
    Participant

Thank you so much for your response, I love the fact this forum is here… I think I’ll be getting good use out of it!

I want to collect a few more cardboard boxes and then order in my compost (Jayjay I’ll get in touch with the JE James cycle store in town, hopefully they can help me there! Thanks for the tip).

I’ve found a site which delivers a pallet made up of individual bags, the location of my allotment means a vehicle can’t get on site to drop off a tonne bag say and luckily I’m walking distance from my house to take individual bags round (I’ll not be needing to go to the gym that weekend!). I was picturing covering the whole site with cardboard and compost and then making my paths using wood chippings – am I best leaving the paths compost free and just put chippings on top of the cardboard?

I can’t wait for my no dig diary to come through to help me with when to sow / plant, unfortunately with summer approaching I feel I may be too late to grow much this year with having to get the allotment sorted in the first place – hopefully there will be something I can sow and plant this year, even if it’s just a few winter veggies.

We have 2 donkeys and mule so plenty on manure at hand to put in a compost heap and use sometime next year once it’s aged. It will be a bit pricey getting in the compost to begin with to cover the cardboard but surely worth it when I look out the window and see veggies rather than dandelions!

Cleansweep
    Participant

Hi Jen,
    Welcome to the forum. I agree with the other contributors, but suggest you mow with a rotary mower before you lay the cardboard. Please walk the area and pick up any visible bricks and stones, wire, string first. Start at a relatively high setting and drop the mower down progressively.There is no need to collect the mowings but best to collect any dandelion clocks before you start. This enables the card to sit at soil level, where it will soak more quickly. Try to apply 50mm minium covering of compost Yes, the provision of compost is a major consideration- the time and energy you save in digging is properly spent collecting material to produce or collect more: there are many potential sources. Coffee shops, spent hops from micro breweries, veg waste from greengrocers and markets, neighbours, pet bedding, cardboard boxes, domestic trimmings, tea bags,vacuum dust etc etc.
    Cleansweep

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags