New Asparagus Bed – preparation and size/ no. of plants?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables New Asparagus Bed – preparation and size/ no. of plants?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of a new allotment (9x17metres) and would love to get some asparagus in.

Having enjoyed reading three of Charles’ books I’m aware that this is a fairly long-term undertaking. Cleaning the soil thoroughly is emphasised and I understand why, so here’s my dilema: Horsetail……..yep, and there is alot of it :-( I am fairly new to this growing food thing and, whislt I’m not afraid of some hard graft, I’m concerned that I may be fighting a losing battle and I’m scared it might demoralise and put me off the whole idea altogether.

How long should I consider cleansing the soil before planting in early spring and what process should I follow? Dig over removing as much as possible and then mulch with 5-6″ compost pulling any out that then comes thru? Should I even consider leaving planting until another year, this coming spring?

Following on from this, I would be growing asparagus just for two – what size of plot square/ no. of plants would be roughly enough to give us a good taste each year – I have plenty of space?

Many thanks for any help offered – I’m keen, but this horsetail stuff is summit else and on a bad day seems overwhelming :-(

Charles, I really ‘no-dig’ your books :-)

Thanks,

Tris

charles

Hello Tris, you have asked a big question… with no simple answer. If doing as you suggest, digging to remove all roots seen and then composting, for planting next spring, you will need to pull horsetail regularly for the life of the asparagus plants, even though it will be somewhat (how much I don’t know) weaker than at present.
    For less horstail, you could cover a whole half of your allotment with balck plastic, total light exclusion, until next winter (2013), after spreading compost/manure and any other organic matter on the ground. Then plant spring 2014 and use the remaining ground for other veg. First taste in 2016! (Covering a larger area is to lessen the problem of horsetail creeping in from the sides)

As to how many plants, a dozen to fifteen, at 2×3 feet, should give plenty of meals after about five years. 

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for your opinion and advice. I’m now considering growing asparagus on a horsetail free patch of my garden at home!!

However, the black plastic idea is probably worth pursuing as a way of reducing horsetail as I continue to work my way across the plot. No-dig is my intended ethos once some of this damn stuff is got out – I would like to get some other vegetables in before 2016!

One last thought – should I remove all vegetation above ground on the ‘black plastic intended area’ before adding the compost layer and then the sheeting? Or will the rotting/ dieing horsetail add to the fertility of the soil over the course of a year under cover of darkness?

Thanks again,

Tris

charles

Good that you have other options!

Yes I would simply spread compost etc on everything growing although it may be easier if you cut it first, and leave it on top. At this stage, a long time before sowing and planting (!) it does not matter if slugs get busy, they may even enjoy some rotting horsetail.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Okay, the ground surface is nearly cleared and the debris spread about. I’ve managed to source some rotted manure from a nearby farmer. What thickness/ gauge of black sheeting is necessary to really cut the light totally out? The price varies and, whilst I don’t mind spending some cash, I don’t want to waste money unnecessarily.

Would it help at all if I covered the manure with cardboard, before then covering that with the sheeting, or am I going OTT!?

Thanks again and keep up the great work – this is all very helpful,

Tris

charles

Most black plastic excludes all light, some mebranes allow a little through. If you have rampant couch grass, cardboard under a membrane could be good but not vital.
    I do not know about calibration numbers for plastic thickness. Or for more money, see http://www.weedguardplus.com for a paper mulch, but I have not used it. 

Stringfellow
    Participant

Charles, thanks again for your time and knowledge. Your new book is the only one I have yet to purchase and read – Xmas is just on the horizon tho……..

I may do half paper mulch and half black plastic as a little experiment. The results could be interesting.

Little couch grass but plenty of horse tail :-( so if I have some cardboard I’ll probably add it for good measure.

I am very much enjoying my own ‘grow my own’ revolution and find your books both helpful and inspirational.

Cheers,

Tris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags