New Asparagus bed..

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground New Asparagus bed..

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

I planted a new asparagus bed this spring,after preparing the ground through the winter.
    This did involved a lot of digging to incorporate the compost and manure.(I hadnt discovered no dig, or Charles for that matter at the time.)
    Its obviously no dig from now on,but the question I wanted to ask is:Is it normal for one year old crowns to still be throwing new spears up at this time of year?
    The ferns are starting to die off as I expected but a few crowns are still producing!!

charles

Shame you dug in the organic matter Paul, but well done on progress and yes, in a warm autumn they sometimes produce new spears. Soon that will stop, no worries.

Paul
    Participant

Thank you for the prompt reply Charles youve put my mind at ease.I planted 48 crowns and was starting to worry.
    I bought them from a commercial grower thats only recently started to supply to the home grower.
    After numerous trips around the “big” garden centres I stumbled across their site and I now have eleven to thirteen spears per crown,it looks like a primeval forest.
    I now have three of your books now Charles and two allotments,when I have more time I will post how this came about lol.

Paul.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags