New bed on soil with brick and waste debris

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground New bed on soil with brick and waste debris

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lipan
    Participant

Hi Charles, first excuse my english, i hope you can understand my questions. I have a little organic orchard at home (La Plata, Argentina) and i want to start new no dig beds. The problem is that just there, twenty years ago former owner put a lot of bricks and waste debris to make a path to go into his property with his truck. So there is only 10cm of soil on top, and sometimes even less. I think i have two options:
    – Doing no dig beds adding a lot (but how much? 30 cm?) of manure and compost with timber on the sides. In this case i dont use “real” soil, so i dont know if it is a good idea in mid-term
    – or doing only one big dig to dig out the debris. In this case the bed would be finally a bit under the soil level, i think i will need anyway a lot of compost to raise it. I feel this is the best choice, but as it is a very hard work (i did it las year on a 3x1meter spot and was absolutely exhausted), so I would appreciate to have your opinion.
    Thank you very much for your time,
    Laura

charles

Hi Laura,
    Interesting question! It depends prtly on how tightly packed the rubble is: most fine plant roots should be able to travel through it to soil below, but carrot toots cannot!
    If you have access to plenty of organic matter, I would add it on top. This will work for sure, I suspect even 15m would be good, and another 5cm every year.
    If you are feeling strong and have time, digging to remove the debris would be good too. A friend did that (Robin, rocketscience on this forum) and says it was worth it. 

Your experience of doing one bed is a pointer – good luck!

PS keep in touch and let us know what you are growing in Argentina!

Lipan
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    You gave me an idea: while i get some help to dig part of it, i should try an experiment: debris vs. non debris! (Not for carrots or beets…) All i need is patience. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you again, your site has been very useful.
    Laura
    PS I just saw the amazing work of Robin Baxter on his allotment! Time and a lot of effort. Wonderful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags