New Boy on Allotment

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground New Boy on Allotment

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nigel 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Nigel
    Participant

I used to grow soft fruit and vegetables conventionally in my garden up to 20 years ago and stopped completely when we moved to a smaller place. I have now retired and at my wife’s instigation taken on an allotment. It is bare at present and I have asked the allotment “character” to plough and rotavate the ground for me. This is just to make the soil easier for me to shovel in to the deep beds I shall be making after the New year. The plot is half a rood and i’ll be using “seconds” scaffolding boards to make beds of board length and about 4′ wide so that I can reach in easily to do any work.

There’s no access to water on the site so I will build a shed and small greenhouse to collect some for seedlings and stuff I’ll bring on in the greenhouse. I’m not a believer in watering established plants.

I’m after any advice to make the maintenance easier as well as getting most produce for space. First question, what can I grow in the pathways to keep weeds to a minimum?

Pete Budd
    Participant

Seasons Greetings Nigel; that is one massive question you are posing there. Bear in mind that most of us on here are “no dig” so ploughing and/or rotavating is anathema to us and I would not recommend it. Regarding paths; I wouldn`t grow anything because it creates too much work. Woven fabric ground cover is a good idea, as long as its permeable and pegged down securely. Keep weeds in check by shimming or hand weeding regularly. I find a double sided, push/pull type hoe is the easiest to use and most effective.

Cheers

Pete

Stringfellow
    Participant

In addition to Pete’s sage advice, you may consider if raised beds with wooden sides are the soundest route. Deep beds help out if you struggle with a bad back etc. – is that your main motivation? Otherwise, creating 4′ wide beds on the flat may be a quicker solution for you. Of course, it’s a personal decision at the end of the day. Good luck with your new allotment.

Steve J
    Participant

Hi I went no dig several years ago and I use battens for paths spaced at 90cms apart. I know you get slugs but the birds, frogs and toads don’t seem to have much problem eating them. I haven’t raised my beds with wood sides. I would only do that if your soil is poor. Good luck with whatever you decide
    Regards Steve J

Nigel
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. Now another question. My site is basically North-South. Should my beds be aligned North-South to get the sun as it crosses the sky, or, East-West so that the crops will face South?

Steve J
    Participant

Hi Nigel, it is said that North / South is best but mine are East / West and my harvests are satisfactory. If you are not growing much in the winter turn the battens on there edge. They keep drier that way. Hope this helps all the best
    Steve J

Nigel
    Participant

Thanks Steve.

Nigel.

Gerryd
    Participant

Hi nigel,

No need to plough up get some used scaffolding planks sna create some 8×4 ft beds then go to your local bike shop or such and get some cardboard lay on groung and fill with good compost, it will cost a bit at first but there will be few weeds and any roots will easily penetrate the cardboard below.
    We did this successfully last year and you can see the results here on our blog https://bifegardencollective.wordpress.com/

No dig is the mantra and it works believe me

Best of luck

Gerry Bray Garden Collective

Nigel
    Participant

Gerry,
    Thanks for that as I didn’t think of the bike shop for cardboard.

I was wondering if I could get away with gravel board as it is cheaper than even used scaffolding boards.

I fully realise there is going to be some expense to start with but I am now in for the long haul and a 5 x 3 metre polytunnel arrived this morning. I have also ordered a greenhouse and shed. There is no water supply on the allotment so they will both have guttering and water butts as well as being used for the obvious.

My wife has also ordered me to grow some “flowers for cutting” so I won’t just be growing vegetables and soft fruit. Looking forward to the allotment life as it appears where I’ve got mine there is a great community spirit.

Nigel.

Steve J
    Participant

Hi Nigel, have you looked at any of Charles books. If not I thinkyou will find them very useful when setting up a new allotment / garden. The one called ‘ Organic Garden was the first that I bought when I got my first allotment. I think it will answer most of your questions. Good luck
    SteveJ

Nigel
    Participant

Steve,
    I’ve bought Charles’s Vegetable Course and started reading it, Vegetable Garden and Winter Vegetables. They should keep me going for a while!

Last year I read quite a bit on Permaculture and expect I will see where ideas and ideals are likely to be complimentary.

Nigel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags