New plot

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

blancmaison

Hi

I have a new plot and I am after some advice , the plot has not been maintained for a few years and either has grass, crouch grass , dock leave or thistles, I have cut this all down down but wanted some advice should I weed kill it with Glysophate (the one I have is one of the weakest on the market by wilkos) I am then intending to either cover it with black polythene or a weaved membrane, dierent things I read say to use membrane so the soil can still breath ? i also intend to start off some large piles of compost to feed the ground once I remove the sheeting , my intention is to leave the sheeting on untill the spring. The reason I was going to do this rather than dig it by hand was that the plot I have is quite large

I recently picked your book up from the library and must say it was one of the best books I have come accross and everything you say in the book “no dig – organic gardening” is so true.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

charles

Welcome to the site blancmaison.

Your weeds sound like a potent mix, I do not use glyphosphate (its your choice, and it does kill weeds!) but covering with mulch takes longer and if you can get it on as soon as possible, there is still barely enough time for the roots of vigorous perennial weeds to have been exhausted by next spring. However they will be massively weakened. Maybe leave the mulch on until May or June, before planting up for the summer and autumn.

Soil quality will be helped by spreading compost/manure either now, before mulching, or in the spring when mulch is removed. This also helps to conserve moisture, improve drainage and in weed control

Soil seems not to mind being under black plastic but a breathing mulch such as Mypex or cardboard does feel like a healthier option. I think there is no absolute right or wrong, do the best you can with whatever materials you can muster, and the soil will repay you for not being significantly disturbed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags