"no dig" container gardening

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground "no dig" container gardening

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kevin Anderson
    Participant

I have had a successful season of growing garlic in an old bathtub and an old fridge.

The growing medium was well rotted horse manure and woodchips/shavings from a local horse trotting stable. I gathered the mix when it was about 6 months old, and let it mature in a covered cubic pile for about a year. I carefully watched a few grass seed shoots and a dandelion shoot for signs of vigour, being a little nervous of any drench or worm medicine etc. that the owners might have given their horses. All weeds flourished!

The depth of the rotted manure in the fridge was about 3/4 of the depth of the fridge (about 30cm), and about half the depth of the bathtub (about 20cm).

Spacings were only 10cm each way, probably a little closer than most recommended spacings.

The variety was a red-skin softneck call “Duganski”.

You will see from the photos the fridge on its side with the growing bulbs, and the garlic drying on the fridge racks.

A recycled fridge, freezer chest or bathtub could also be used as a “no dig” backdoor herb container. No digging is required: merely fill the container with well rotted, mature horse or cow manure and then plant your herbs directly into the mix. Each year, top up the container with at least a couple of centimetres of compost and replant herbs etc. as required. If significant settling occurs, then you will need to add extra compost.

This system of utilising a bathtub/fridge/freezer might also be useful in an allotment garden setting if you can access any unused space or a quiet corner. The volumes of mature compost needed will vary, of course, on the volume of your container. Typically a bathtub or fridge is about 250 litres (a quarter of a cubic metre) with freezer chests typically more.

No dig container gardening is virtually an imperative for me, here in Tasmania. Vegetable growing is otherwise a constant challenge with possums, rats, mice, wallabies and kangaroos. Not to mention rabbits and cats!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Christine
    Participant

This would be a good method for carrots too I think. I am worried that my garden is full of stones and none of my compost looks like Charles’s does so I am concerned about getting the fine soil for these veg. would this set up also help against carrot fly as it is up off the ground?
    Very resourceful and love the upcycling element!

Kevin Anderson
    Participant

Hello Christine.
    Without knowing the details of your soil and the extent of your stones, can I be rash enough to suggest a trommel (a circular sieve) or a horizontal (or nearly so) sieve.

Here are two examples:

&

The issue of compost and its quality is separate. Actually, they do share a few things, including needing time to solve all the challenges working towards the solution. And quite a few cups of tea to work through the maze! But in my experience, a trial solution is well worth working towards.

Carrots typically prefer a soil that is not too fertile so I would suggest waiting until it is the container’s second or third crop. In my experience, carrots do really well on “the smell of an oily rag”! I have had excellent results with Mr Fothergill’s F1 Navarre carrots – expensive but practically 100% germination rate. And a gorgeous taste!

Sorry: I am not familiar with carrot fly.

Yes, the recycling element will appeal to a lot of people because every family has a fridge and/or freezer that eventually stops working. My fridge was about 25 years old, inherited when I moved into my house almost 18 years ago. Now, it and the shelves continue with their sterling work! In my local re-cycling centre (and I only live in a small village) at last visit I saw more than 20 unloved fridges and freezers that would grow excellent carrots!

Hope this all helps.
    Kevin (blustery Tasmania, 41 degs S, practically at sea level)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags