No Dig South East London 2014

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground No Dig South East London 2014

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Bambury 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Richard Bambury
    Participant

Over the last 6 years I have cleared an allotment plot over grown with brambles, couch and bindweed. The clay soil alternates between too wet to work or has cracks you can put your arm in. Because the plots are difficult to work, many are abandoned. This in turn means annual weed seeds. Logic says give up but having put in so much work I am determined not to do so (and I do like strimming and rotavating great exercise). I like having winter veg not an empty winter plot and read a lot about growing. So I suppose it was no surprise during last summers holiday that Amazon/Kindle should suggest Charles winter veg book. The Kindle price was reasonable and as there is little to do in West Flanders Belgium except drink their beers and eat wonderful food, I sat and read it.
    I didn’t learn too much about how to put a seed in a pot but the stunning clarity and simplicity of the No Dig concept lit the brightest of lights in my brain. Here was the answer that would save me time increase soil fertility and not have the cost incurred by the raised bed brigade who always seem to be buying timber and bags of compost from B&Q ,Homebase or Wilkinsons.
    The elements of the plan quickly fell into place
    My plot is alongside the main “drag” through the site.so compost /manure could be easily delivered. A local stables delivers manure for free but it is of poor quality. A google search found a classy equestrian centre a few miles away that only uses matting so their waste is well rotted and pure and free. Then my local gym said I could take away any cardboard and pallets for nothing.so mulch material, compost heaps and the compost itself was sorted
    Did I want bags of horse dung in my car? No!
    So have tow bar fitted! Local mobile tow bar installer quoted £300. Buy the metal on eBay and fitted by local auto electrician. £150 the lot. My new trailer was delivered yesterday. Seeds were ordered last week and the first lot have been delivered (my order to Real Seeds won’t come until after Xmas).
    It is now late afternoon on Christmas Eve and I sit here typing( iPad on lap and Belgian beer in hand) looking forward to no rotavating, no digging and an enjoyable harvest.
    A Happy and Peaceful Christmas to all and a Wonderful New Year

Pete Budd
    Participant

There goes a very happy gardener. All he needs to do now is sell the rotovator, (the devils machine), and start composting. I run several allotments and concentrate on minimising hard work, (else how would I manage them). I cannot believe how easy it is whilst I`m surrounded by “traditional” gardeners struggling to get their winter digging done and in the process destroying the balance of the soil and bringing more weeds to the surface.

A very merry Christmas to one and all

Pete

charles

Thanks Pete and good luck Richard in your gardening. As Pete says, no dig is deeply satisfying, a wonderful way to connect with Nature and enjoy great bounty.

All success to everyone in 2014.

Richard Bambury
    Participant

Thank you Pete and Charles for your encouragement.
    Yesterday I visited the equestrian centre I found on Google.
    ” Is it true?”, I asked “That you have well rotted horse manure with no straw or wood shavings?”
    “Yes”
    “Is it at least a year old?”
    “Yes,my dear “, said the lady in charge, ” and if you go to the back end of the heap it is about 25 years old!”
    There at the top end of the yard was a heap of pure black wormy compost that must have started before Shergar was born.
    There must be 20 tons plus of the stuff and all for free.
    If the weather holds good tomorrow I shall make a couple of trips with the new car trailer and get 1/2 ton or so.
    By planting time in march I should have enough to last the year.
    So anybody else who is into no dig and within striking distance of Bexley Village ( SE London A2, M25 , A 20) google shannonleighstables and go and help your self

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags