No dig thread on Kitchen Garden forum

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground No dig thread on Kitchen Garden forum

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SpadelessAde 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Dear Charles, there’s a thread on the Kitchen Garden forum where people are discussing the pros and cons of No Dig – and one of the conclusions that has been reached is that you can’t use No Dig principles on light soil. Do you agree with this? In case you are interested in reading what’s been written, I’ve attempted to put the link here: http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11180
    Thanks for any help you can give, I don’t think I could answer any of the comments well enough, but wonder if they could be wrong!!
    Best regards, Adrienne

Pete Budd
    Participant

I had a look at this and see that the main contributor to the anti no-dig side of the debate has years of experience and has tried a lot of different techniques. However; based on my experience, I don`t agree with some of his points. I have found that light soil although free draining dries out even quicker if dug, compost mulch does not dry out quickly and I have not found it necessary to dig my compost in to ensure that the roots of my crops have moisture and nutrients below the ground. Having said that; I agree that people have different ideas based on their experience and the soils that they garden on.

Cheers

Pete

charles

Thanks both for this. When I have more time I shall post something on the thread.

For now I agree Pete that most of the conclusion has been made by the one gardener, and like you I am unsure of some of his points.

Actually the main thing I drew from it is the sucess of no dig on heavy soil.

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Glad I saw it, and that I thought to bring it to your attention Charles. I’ll look forward to reading your post on the thread when you’ve got more time!
    Adrienne

SpadelessAde
    Participant

So relieved you were able to put your observations in Charles – I wasn’t comfortable with where it had been leading, but thankful that you were able to step in so beautifully and put the record straight! Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags