No Radish

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

I have tried Radish in a container using multi purpose compost. Sowed 8 weeks ago and they have plenty of foliage and flowers but no swelling roots?

charles

Either you have sown autumn radish which flowers in spring, such as mooli, China Rose etc, and/or they are spaced so close that there is no room for roots to swell and they have bypassed that stage. Small spring radish such as French Breakfast need about two inches around each one, sometimes more is less for root vegetables. If they are flowering they cannot make edible roots, similar to bolting onions or carrots.

bluebell
    Participant

I have had a similar problem, early crops were good but later ones have been very poor to the point that I lost one sowing to flea beatle. They also appear to be putting down a really long tap root and some do but some dont swell, so I had put it down to lack of water or maybe intermittent water. Some have also developed thick scaly skin.

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks Charles. Variety is Purple Plum and spacing is ok. Leaves are 12″+. I have read that too much Nitrogen can cause the problem but dont know how to avoid that?

charles

Interesting – I grew Amethyst purple radish this spring alongside French Breakfast, sown in same soil at same time. The French Breakfast were great and the Amethyst were awful, growing as you describe, loads of leaf and tiny roots and then flowering to boot. Not what the packet promised! And not any fault of the soil for sure. 

I also grew Amethyst Radish this spring. Thought i’d try them in modules. Between 8 and 10 seed per cell and planted out under fleece with wild rocket @ 20x20cm. Grew very well. Very uniform, very purple and good flavour. Remember few years ago at place I used to work someone sowed Radish on different biodynamic days to see if there were differences. Root days did seem to produce best results. This is something i need to try again sometime when there is a spare 10 minutes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags