Observing and learning.

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Observing and learning.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles and fellow growers. I planted out some calabrese about a week a go and then covered with fleece. Apart from some tearing of the fleece (by ?) the plants have enjoyed some sunshine and warm days, in addition to getting through some cold nights. Having just lifted the fleece covers a few have been obliterated by, based on past experience, slugs! Nearby lettuce and beetroot plants, also fleeced etc. remain untouched and look to be establishing slowly but surely. So, why the difference?

This area grew parsnips last season and I wondered if this could be the reason for the damage? The roots were cleared to a sack for storage in January so the soil has been clear and clean for a couple of months. Without writing yet more (!) I don’t think I have missed anything obvious. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying the spring. Tris

charles

Hard to say Trus, perhaps your calabrese were a little weaker plants than the others, or are closer to a slug habitat, or the dog that damaged your fleece disturbed the calabrese. It is still early for all these plants, though they are stronger by the day.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks. Sorry, my description is a bit vague and I didn’t think a short essay would help clarify things much anyway! Too many variables sometimes but my main thought was if you thought early plantings where parsnips grew the season before are worth avoiding. Another potential observation link.

Bit of a drag regarding the torn fleece as I will probably have to fleece and then net that with hoops for early plantings. Certainly an extra issue when growing on an allotment!

Thanks for the April update, always interesting. Tris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags