Off Topic

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wellies 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

celiacjean
    Participant

This is not about the no dig garden but something that is visible in the no dig garden and that is your solar panels on your roof. I am wondering what they supply and how you like them?

charles

Hi Celia, they give about 2.5KW per annum which, together with the government feed-in tariff should pay for them after 11 years.
    Recently the inverter broke, I did not notice and I lost several months electricity! It’s mended now under warranty, EEC Solar.
    I am happy with them.

Hazelky
    Participant

Also off topic……looking forward to the open day, hope to meet lots of forum people. I am Hazel, 5 foot small with white hair from Herefordshire.

celiacjean
    Participant

Charles, 11 years is quite a long time for them to pay themselves off, after that will you be completely off the grid?

Wellies
    Participant

We are completely off grid.
    We have an array with a peak power output of 3.5kw. This feeds our batteries we have in a little shed, then inverters change the DC electricity to 240v AC.

We have been running on just 8 of our 16 panels for two winters, so 1.75kw (peak output). In the summer we have plenty of power. In winter we have to be very frugal with our electricity consumption. To keep the batteries at a good steady state of charge and everything ticking along ok we had a fridge, a freezer and computer used for an hour or so each day.
    Much more than this would bring the battery voltage down too low and gives an indication of how poor their winter performance is.
    As a country solar panels are a part of a renewable energy setup but they need to be used in conjunction with the grid for most people to keep them going at night and in the winter. Wind, hydro and other renewables need to also go into the mix.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags