Old garden/ New garden Fresh manure/Spoiled Hay?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Old garden/ New garden Fresh manure/Spoiled Hay?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 6 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Participant

I have been busily sorting out my vegetable garden, which had raised beds which I haven’t touched for 3 years now. I was determined to get out there this year and sort it out and things are going better than I thought. I had forgotten that I had left weed supressant or carpet on most of the garden, so have not had to dig too deeply and have more than enough space for growing.

I will have to lime it because most of the weeds on it were growing into moss, but at least it was easy to remove.

I have had around 3/4 of a large bale of spoiled hay given to me and also found a source of horse manure which I can access regularly from now on, but it is pretty fresh.

How best to use these treasures? Compost it all, or should I put the manure on top of the beds and leave it to the worms?

charles

Too many variables to be precise Sandra.
    Say your climate is dry and slugs no problem, half-decomposed manure is possible.
    Moss does not indicate acidity, rather moisture. I would compost most of the gifts and start planting.

Sandra
    Participant

Ok Charles thanks for your help

I had a disaster last night, very bad storm which kept me awake for most of the night. This morning a window and door were smashed in my greenhouse and my propagator with sungold and gardeners delight tomatoes in it were were upside down. So must go and get new seed tomorrow. I could cry just about. Hope they are not too late, I can but try.

charles

So sorry to hear that Sandra, go again!

Hazelky
    Participant

Oh Sandra, pants pants pants! Much sympathy. How badly damaged were the toms? Would a bit of TLC help and repotting or were they too badly mangled? I have very little tomato plants at the mo.so you will not be too far behind.

After all the bad weather enjoying warm sun in uk today.

Rhys
    Participant

Sandra

I have sown Sungold, Apero and Zenith up to the last week of April and had great crops growing in pots outdoors in NW London, so I would suspect you can still get a great crop in a greenhouse….

Sandra
    Participant

The tomatoes were were just showing above the compost before the storm and had lain on the greenhouse floor for a good many hours in the cold wet stuff, so I am not holding my breathe. I have ordered more seeds though, which should be here tomorrow hopefully. I can’t give up on Sungold, I am practically drooling just thinking about them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags