Old habits and perpetual cycles

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Old habits and perpetual cycles

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

stewart
    Participant

The adage that advice comes free may well be true, but seeing the propensity for people to systematically repeat a cycle is amazing….

My local allotments all bear witness to lovely ‘billiard table’ levelness and a large mound at the nether region, this mound is a wealth of topsoil removed by subsequent holders who skim off the turf, and then leave the roots in place, hence the cycle continuing, some of these mounds equate to several feet across and tall.
    Though it’s really the usage of the rotavator that fascinates me, the soil structure visibly lower and the re-emergence of weed seed staggering, only to hear the sound of 2stroke ( spring heralds the cuckoo so I believe, not here ) and the smell of castrol R as these mechanical thugs perpetuate their life cycle as they lead Grandad round the plot…….

All ramblings aside, the plot next to me has now proceeded with his 13th pass in less than 6 months, and only which I have counted, goodness knows the worms must be dizzy.

’55 years’ he proudly says to his tenure of his plots, the chickens look suitably unfazed by this….i smile and just nod, obviously I look over his plot, but there again my soil structure differs to his, we discuss this phenomenon as he cleans the blades as i survey him from my ‘elevated’ position….

I will continue to listen out for the cuckoo and maybe just maybe buy my friendly neighbour a book called ‘no dig’

Jottings from an allotment near you….Through a ‘blue haze’

bluebell
    Participant

Interesting reflections Stewart. Only yesterday I was wandering round the outside of our plots and noting how stony the dug soil looks compared to my undug. Clearly raising stones to the surface which some diligent souls then pile in to neat paths etc.
    For me the saddest thing is hearing the old boys who give up their plots after may years because they are too old to do the digging that they believe is required.

stewart
    Participant

I believe the biggest issues lie in modern farming unfortunately… and I don’t mean to be proportioning blame onto the industry as in my mind it is driven by the consumer and the provider, we simply do not pay enough for our food in this country, allotments I think are a kind of last bastion of providing for ones self, the new builds do not cover a postage stamp in usable ground and we have lost a way in providing for ourselves.
    Allotments appear vogue at present, if our local ones are anything to go by. though our food wastage is extreme through economics.

The no dig principle is interesting and one I have been reading a lot into, though I have expedited the process ( weed control) by a thorough process of glysophate, digging for couch and bindweed and redigging in manure and mulching with compost heavily though the plot I work was undug for 7 years and waist height,

The worm population is fantastic and hereon in I will now resist any kind of digging…. I realise Charles expones mulching as a top down basis but I wanted to manipulate the plot a bit quicker.

charles

Hello Stewart and your comments are most interesting. Its a puzzle why people make so much work for themselves, and may your plot be bountiful.

Rhys
    Participant

I look at local allotments and you see a large number either totally neglected or simply left to go to grass. There is a 1 hectare length about a mile from home where I counted 14 full sites and 6 half sites pretty much in that situation. In between you see a few reasonably tended and quite a few magnificently tended. Clearly those on the waiting lists must feel short-changed seeing that sort of thing……

Having tested out Charles’ no-dig methods over an 18 month period, it’s pretty clear that you can reduce ‘weeding’ to the odd hoeing session once a week/fortnight once a site is brought to a state of cleanliness. To me it does seem an ideal solution for those only able to garden at weekends or the odd evening in the week.

stewart
    Participant

The ‘no dig method’ spins the public perception on it’s head, from something that is like taking ‘one step after another’ to suddenly asking you to walk backwards, it is a big ask to get someone to change their habits formed over decades and probably passed down as their father and grandfathers done the same.

I found the comparisons an interesting read from growing side by side ‘Dig, undug’ ….. I hope Charles carries this on for future reference, though I realise as a commercial grower he may well be constrained by time/space etc.

Mandy
    Participant

The problema with allotments is that they are not necessarily close to the sources of mulchy materials sufficient to go to a no dig method – these old guys may not have the transport to collect or may simply have never been told about other methods. We gave up our allotment in the 80s because we had no car and there was no way we could collect sufficient material and transport on bikes, with 2 under 5s in tow, in the few hours we had to devote to our plot. We ended up working only a few square meters and never got the rest of the plot under control. Now I live next to old oak and chestnut Woodland and can barrow tonnes of well rotted leaf mulch direct to my new raised beds. Bliss!

zuf
    Participant

I was in England couple of times, and i missed forsests. They were the fertility of the land, coming down from hills, than sheeps and goats ate everything (“well human cut it down for pasture”).
    I hope some day, you will have so much forest as you once did! Forests are great neighboiurs on top of the hills. 🙂 Ancient people always said – “these are for the gods”.

stewart
    Participant

Is anyone familiar with ‘Elephant in the room’ debate …..?

The ability to feed or rather the ability to be self reliant as opposed to reliant on imports will drive people to rethink our relationship with where our food comes from, 2050 is a timeline whereby the worlds population will struggle to feed itself.
    The waterframe directive (WFD) goes some way to addressing years of burying our heads to the negative impact we enacted on our waterways, farming is in a transitional time and as the consumer we also need to be aware of change.
    we will be in due course have to rethink as a necessity, though at present through choice.

Charles as a footnote do you have an open day each year ??

Regards

Stewart

Peak ORGANICS
    Participant

we have taken over a piece of land described by the planners as overgrown scrub, it is in fact a garden that has not been worked for over 20 years. We are digging a couple of areas to get rid of bindweed so we can plant quickly. Other areas are being covered with plastic or landscape fabric as we prefer the no dig idea. We have been delighted to see raspberries and currant bushes emerging from the weeds, along with daffodils and grape hyacinths who know what else may emerge!

charles

Overgrown scrub is promising, good luck with that!
    Yes Stewart to open days every year, two in fact, this year June 7th and September 6th, Sunday afternoons both, 2-5pm.

stu
    Participant

On our allotment there are 11 plots and I am the only 1 who practice’s the no dig method and in the last few weeks all the other plot holder s (5) have been rotavating they have so many weeds on their plots where as I have basicallynone. My plot is very low maintenance just needing a top up of Manure/compost /leaf mould once a year I love this way of veg growing and I’m thankful for finding charles’ way of doing it. My time is spent on sowing into modules and tray then posting on then planting outin to my raised beds what could be easier. I know my neighbour wished hed done his plot like mine . its hard to get the project going from scratch but its well worth the effort.

Rhys
    Participant

So far as I know, zuf, Scotland is replanting its old Caledonian Forest – the plan was to plant 2 million traditional trees to regenerate it. How they’re getting on, I’ve not been following, but the will was certainly there…….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags