Old raspberry bed

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Old raspberry bed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jardinseducatifs 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Somerset

This hasn’t been touched for about 5 years so was a mass of grass with some bindwees. I’ve pulled out the raspberrys and cut the grass – taking out any nasty looking roots as I did so. I’ve put a three inch layer of nicely aged leaf mould on top, with sheets of cardboard over all. I will be getting some manure in the new year and have access to plenty of sheet cardboard and a reasonable amount of plastic sheeting.

Questions
    Assuming the manure is fairly well rotted can I put a couple of inches over the cardboard that is already there – or should I take the old cardboard off (not an easy job if we’ve had a lot of rain)

Would it be best to cover the whole lot (after putting on the manure) with a sheet of plastic for several months.

Would potatoes be a good idea in this bed next year – or would I be better off putting courgettes through the plastic (the bed is about 18 by 12 feet – which is a lot of courgettes for two of us!)

The bindweed is not too bad – I feel we could cope with it next year.

Any help would be gratefully welcomed.

charles

You seem well on top of weeds, it sounds from what you say that there is little or no couch grass, the only weed likely to be a continuing problem. But with all that leafmould and cardboard, then manure, it should be fine.

Leave the cardboard in place, with manure on top, it slowly rots in situ, Plant potatoes in the manure, I don’t think you need plastic. Just grow a courgette or two! Or winter squash. Enjoy keeping on top of the few bindweed!

Somerset

Thanks for the advice. We put cardboard down. Actually we’ve put cardboard down several times as the wind has been ripping it and blowing it into our hedge. Hope your plot has not been too badly affected by the wind.

charles

Well, no wind-damage yet!

Puzzled by your comment though as I thought you were putting some manure on the cardboard and that holds it.

Somerset

Manure is on its way to us.

if you don’t want to eat that many potatos squash are a great easy crop to fill large spaces quickly. Winter squash like Butternut keep for months and are great presents. Its fun to try new ones too, I usually keep the seeds of pumpkins I like and have a go at growing them. Dead easy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags