One Man right size

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground One Man right size

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Vivian G 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

maxita
    Participant

Hi everyone, I follow you and write to you from the center of Italy,

I am 30 years old, and I lost my job in a situation of great economic crisis.

I have an area of 10,716.88 m² (115,355.53 ft²) approximately.

I would try to gain with organic vegetables, sell it to zero mile, or a single day market during the week ..

What do you think is the right size to manage a full-time person?
    I would like to avoid occupying so much and not being able to handle, or sell everything.

I would also like, if possible, to avoid buying lots of compost and manure trucks,

What advice can you give me? What technique to adopt?

Do you already know micro-farms managed by a single person?
    I would like to see pictures of their lands ..

Every advice is welcome!

charles

Too much to answer here! you need a good book like The Market Gardener by JM Fortier.
    Intensive crops, one person per half acre or less intensive, per acre.
    Not buying compost is false economy. Assuming you want an income from veg.

Steve
    Participant

Maxita,

Have a look at ‘Curtis Stone – urban farmer’ on youtube. There are a number of videos that may help you.

peat
    Participant

Check out Singing Frogs farm on you tube.

Vivian G
    Participant

Are there any other no dig market gardens around, from people that earn their living from growing furit and veg? Peat mentioned Singing Frogs Farm, does anybody know others?

@ Maxita: You can grow your own compost crops like comfrey to make more of your own compost, but this takes a lot of time. I would advise you to buy in compost at least for the first couple of years. If you are hesitating because of the cost involved, consider how much more time you will be able to spend with actually growing instead of weeding if you mulch with compost.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags