Poor seed germination, onion, beetroot, spinach…

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Poor seed germination, onion, beetroot, spinach…

This topic contains 66 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  KevL 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles, might have made a mistake here with some onions I sowed on 28th Feb. On gentle heat provided by a propagating tray, but it was turned off at night for the first 48hrs; still no sign of the seedlings emerging and wonder if they got started but then the temperature drop stalled them? Had a rummage in one of the modules and found a couple of these multi-sown seeds had started to sprout. So, should I wait a bit longer, or is it better to now re-sow and learn from this error? I have a second packet of seed so no biggie.

Thanks for your help, Tris

Cleansweep
    Participant

I think they will still come unless rotted. Interestingly although quoted as” germinating in 8 days @ 20 deg c” in one table, it goes on to quote “172 days @6deg C” My labels would faded in that time!!
    Cleansweep

charles

Stringfellow that is frustrating. We had some issues this year too, heat not quite enough to get them going evenly. I sowed some more a week ago and they are emerging beautifully, on a windowsill, where the night temperature is higher than on frosty nights over the hotbed. Also I sowed them more shallow!
    Your first sowing may make it but since you have spare seed, I would sow more too.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks both.

I will re-sow and do so a little shallower; thanks for the tip. Something to learn every year 🙂 thanks again.

Rhys
    Participant

Tris if you are worried about depth, I know from experience that onion seeds germinate really well in soil blocks. You do not cover seeds in blocks, so no worry about depth of sowing.

Not suggesting a mass move away from module trays, just saying soil blocks work if for some reason you find germination of onion in modules a bit erratic.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for that Rhys, I looked in to soil blocks after reading books by Elliott Coleman, but decided against them due time constraints. I’ll probably come to it a little later in life once a couple of other projects come to a close 😉 Sounds like you’ve had great success with them though.

I’d sowed fairly shallow, but wondered if the seeds had thought “damp and warmth, time to get started!” then literally ten hours later “blimey it’s cold, think I’ll give this up as bad job!”. I may just end up with about 500 onions this season….

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hmmm….beginning to think this a batch of duff seed from Dobies. Second packet sown a week ago, on to gentle heat, still no sign.

charles

Yes probably, actually certainly old seed. I have had some of that too, can see clearly from sowing a few batches.
    With beetroot too and it was Kings’ Boltardy that barely germinated, while others did. The germination rate had suddenly dropped, for whatever reason.
    This results in a waste of time, greenhouse space and compost, plus a later crop.
    They replaced my seed, and let’s hope this was a rare occurrence.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks. Rather disappointing really, perfect planning resulting in, well, squat. F1 hybrid seed too. Will call them when I get a mo’ during the day. Thanks for the insight.

Rhys
    Participant

I have had slightly dodgy Ishikura salad onion- and Boltardy Beetroot seeds this year from OGC. Their Amsterdam Carrot seed was excellent though. I know the compost I sowed the dodgy ones in is great because other seeds have flown through.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Rhys. It’s definitely dead seed as there’s still nothing through on either tray. I spoke to Dobies yesterday and they are sending out a couple of packs of replacement seed, hopefully fresh this time! Frustrating but part of the price of convenience I suppose. Sorry you’ve experienced some difficulty as well.

Rhys
    Participant

Tris, the Ishikura is germinating but not at high enough frequency, a right pain as I bought three packets to sow at monthly intervals. I sowed the second last week so if that is dodgy I will ring them up. The Boltardy was rubbish: six seedlings from 72 seeds sown in 18 modules. I have resown new seed from Johnsons – too soon to have a result yet.

On a more positive note I sowed first seeds outdoors yesterday: parsnip, turnip and 1 sqft of Amsterdam carrots (25 stations two or three seeds per station): all under fleece now. Peas will go out later this week along with spinach and cabbage.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Rhys, interesting and I hope this isn’t a case of lower standards due to economic challenges for these providers; it’s the first year for a while since I have had any issues with poor germination.

Good job on the carrot and parsnip, I’ve decided to delay slightly due to the weather forecast and being ‘oop north’ 🙂 Your record keeping is both thorough and excellent, mine less so. Although these Santero improved are easy to record…..zero…..

Dieter
    Participant

Interesting… I should have read this topic before. My Boltardy seeds (King) were rubbish as well. I sowed a second time as I hoped I did something wrong in my first sowing, but again, as good as nothing. I sowed Chioggia beetroot at the same time, with exemplary germination rate (sourced from well-known e-bay vendor).

I sowed a few onion varieties, Santero being among them and also being the only one that failed miserably (Suttons). I sowed a second time, just to make sure, but it looks as if the experience is going to repeat itself…

Best germination + vigour for onion seeds are for seeds I purchased from Bingenheimer Saatgut (Stuttgarter Riesen, https://www.bingenheimersaatgut.de/) and Semailles (Rouge de Huy, a local variety, https://www.semaille.com/en/).

charles

Ah Dieter this is vexing to hear. I suggest you write to King’s Seeds and attach a photo of the comparative growth of your Chioggia seedlings.
    Likewise the Suttons Santero, I think (hope) you were unlucky there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags