Onion seedlings

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

stu
    Participant

Does anyone trim their onion seedlings during the growing stage before planting out i.e leeks.
    I have sown my red baron and Bedfordshire champion into 24 cell module trays, 6 seeds per cell. Do you pot on into bigger deeper cells or straight into soil when they have 3 leaves

Rhys
    Participant

Stu

If you are going to plant a clump of six seedlings, I would not pot on. I only pot on onions I want singles from which sometimes do not germinate too well (Kelsae), so I sow them in trays rather than individual modules.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Like Rhys says, clumps don’t need trimming and can go straight in to the ground, fleece layer gently but tightish over them to help early growth. The fleece makes a huge difference to this early growth, well worth the effort.

Rhys, I left a comment on your blog, hope you got it. Tris

charles

24 cell trays sound big enough to grow onions to planting size. No need to count their leaves, just wait until the compost is reasonably full of their roots.

Rhys
    Participant

Tris, yes got the comment and thanks. WordPress seems to put all comments into moderation, so I approved yours this morning. Hopefully this means you are permanently approved!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags