Onion set plants deteriorating

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Onion set plants deteriorating

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

The leaves on many of my onions are dying and the bulbs are either loose in the ground or have become dislodged from the soil with little root visible. Most are reasonably solid.

I received the sets in the Autumn from Kings Seeds, the suppliers to the allotment. I kept them in the dark in an unheated bedroom before planting in late March, covering them with fleece to keep the birds off while they rooted. They had been growing well until recently.

The photo is from the end of May when they were growing well.

onions

Thank you

John

charles

John, it could be white rot and that is bad news, if roots are decayed, white mould around the bulbs, leaves more yellow than green, and a fast change. Best recycled or burnt and be careful not to spread infected material around.
    Usually its from spores in the soil not the sets.

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

Thank you for the rapid response. I had planted garlic in the spring in the adjacent 4 foot bed and they greened up well and then all the leaves died off so I dug them up and used the area for my celeriac – this is looking good so far ….

You mention recycling the onions; does this include composting or is it better to take them off site. I am aiming at a 4 year rotation. Will the spores die off?

I also discovered very pretty beetles munching through my new asparagus ferns today; fortunately they seem to be slow to fly away so squishing is quite easy.

Still, this year will be a year without blight, eel worm, canker, club root, carrot fly … fingers crossed!

John

charles

It sounds like your plot is full of white rot. Leeks also suffer it.
    Yes I mean send to recycling for a hot compost to kill the spores, yours may recycle it to your plot.
    Well done on keeping positive, its amazing how many problems there can be, yet mostly we harvest.

Big D
    Participant

Hello John

I am very sympathetic as I lost my garlic to white rot a couple of weeks ago and today found my spring planted onions have it too! It is such a blow. I had already planted my leeks in the same bed so I think I will now move them as far away as possible and hope they stay clean. It is the long term effects too that are troublsome.

It is a good idea to clean tools, gloves, boots etc that might have come in contact with the onions to stop it spreading.

I am wondering whether to crush some uninfected garlic, mix with water and water on the infected bed. The theory is to trigger the fungus but it can’t grow as there are no plants. Evidently, once triggered, it can’t grow again. Another idea I read, was to chop up uninfected onions and spread over the bed, again to trigger the fungus, but it will not be able to get a hold as the onion bits will wither and die. Might be worth considering. Has anyone tried this?

On the bright side, the strawberry harvest continues to be fabulous!!

Black fly seem to be rampant in our part of Essex – even on my parsnips and another plotholder’s beetroot as well as the usual beans!

charles

Yes BigD its the same here with blackly, they are on the stems of flowers and my runner beans.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags