onion to store

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables onion to store

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  stu 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

Hello Charles next season I would like to try onion from seed for a change. I have kappa (t&m) and cipolla (franchise)  they are both cylindrical my  question is are these onions good for storing into the winter

charles

Good idea to try onion from seed, its not difficult and there is more choice of varieties. Kappa is half shallot and quite long, not sure how well it will keep into spring, suspect it may sprout a little after Christmas. And Cipolla I don’t know – is that the full name? because I think Cipolla is the  simply Italian word for onion.

ladbrokes

Rossa lunga di firenze 

ladbrokes

Can you recommend any to try for their taste and keeping qualities

charles

I find that Stuttgarter keeps the longest, and its powerful too, hard to peel! Red Baron keeps well, and grows well from seed. The Long Red Florence you have seed of grows fast and large, is quite mild and mine are just starting to shoot a bit already, so are best eaten by Christmas. Stuttgarter should keep until April.

stu
    Participant

I’m having trouble in finding stuttgarter seed anywhere on line can anyone help

Stringfellow
    Participant

I could be wrong, but I have a memory of our local Lidl stocking packs of Stuttgarter onion seed in their late winter/ early spring seed selection – uber cheap too!

I’m trying ‘santero improved’ for my white onions this year, in the hope of counteracting any potential mildew issues – fingers crossed….

charles

Yes my Stuttgarter seed last year came from Lidl and it germinated well.
    I hope that Santero works for potential mildew Tris. The only time I grew it was a non-mildew year so I am still unsure how effective its resistance is.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks. It’s worth a try as last year was a disaster with my Bedfordshire Champs – there’s only so much onion soup one can manage!! If the Santero suffer badly too I may have to give up the idea of onions on my allotment altogether – this would be a shame as I love the idea of growing and then storing for use through the winter etc. We shall see..

stu
    Participant

I’ve grown sturon sets for the last 2 years with great success and last year I also tried turbo which were huge and have stored very well so I can recommend those to try. Seed this year for a change.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags