Only manure

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steph 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mart

Hi Charles,

I’m sure I have read my question on the forum but can’t find it anymore. My question is this. I only have manure and no compost can I put down cardboard with a thick layer of manure on it and plant right away? I assume it depends also on how old the manure is. It is between 2 and 3 years.

I also was studying in your methode how to determine the right amount of fertilisation of the soil, on pag 15 of your course book you write that it should be more or less ok as long as you add compost (at least that is how I intrepret it.

As you might remember I live in Italy and plan to do lots of tomatoes, aubergines, zucca’s and peppers this year. Would lots of manure do damage you think?

Thanks,

Marck

charles

These words are confusing, because well decomposed manure is effectively compost and I do say that on page 14, thereafter using the word ‘compost’ to describe any well decomposed organic matter, of whatever origin.

I think that confusion arises because some writers use the word manure for almost-fresh excrement, which is not good for roots and can burn them, but all manure of at least six months age, and which has been stacked with enough air in the heap to stop it putrefying (anaerobic decomposition, bad smell) is fine to use as surface mulch and then to plant through.

How much your plants need is hard to say and if there are few weeds, or only annual weeds, a three inch layer with no cardboard may do it. And your 2-3 year old manure sounds great for growing. As for using too much, yes you could if you applied 6 inches per year and did not grow intensively. But the "French intensive" market gardeners around Paris and other big cities, in Victorian times for example, used to apply over 100 tons per acre, and grow three crops a year or more. I reckon that the right amount is whatever will mostly disappear within a year, devoured by soil organisms.

mart

Yes you are right. I think you are right I got somewhat confused.

100 per acre? Wow that is like 25kg’s per m2?
    This gets me thinking, you need to make a lot of organic compost if you don’t have many animals. I always wondered when high production in agriculture started. Bosch-Haber did something I guess. Here in Italy old people all tell me that before the WWII and even more recent there was very little to eat. They didn’t have the huge amounts of animals they have today. Need to dig into the history of agriculture I think since I have heard that tomatoes started to get abundant around Naples during 19th century, maybe volcanic soil?

charles

Yes it is incredible how yields are now so high, of many crops. The increases are not due only to artificial fertiliser, some is animal and plant breeding, some is the power of machinery. Nobody knows how sustainable it all is, and how nutritious some of the food is, but it works for now.

Likewise it means there is plenty of manure around, in many places, if you want a plot to be highly productive.

Or you could be less intensive with green manures, as explained in this forum by Pete Budd.

I should love some volcanic soil!

Peak ORGANICS
    Participant

Hi
    We have been inspired by reading your vegetable course book and are trying the no dig system this year. We have made a start by weeding one bed and adding Frosty’s (the pony) pooh to half of it. We intend to work around the whole allotment and will add manure to some beds and our own home made compost to other beds. We are also ditching the traditional method of crop rotation in favour of the one Charles advocates. We will be tracking our progess and blogging on our website as we go through the year. See: http://www.peakorganics.org.uk to check on our progress!

charles

Thanks for the link and good luck with your project. I hope Frosty is prolific!

Steph
    Participant

My daughter brought some volcanic ash back from Iceland, a 4 kg gift from a farmer there who uses it as her main source of fertility.

There is a very little left, perhaps enough for one special pot as an experiment!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags