Optimum spacing for main crop Carrots

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Optimum spacing for main crop Carrots

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Don Foley
    Participant

I’ve read many different spacings given for Carrots, Obviously the closer together you grow the smaller the root.
    I grow in raised beds and was wondering whether I should sow/thin to 3″ each way or 4″ each way. For me space is tight and the difference between 3″ and 4″ equates to an additional 90 roots from the same space.
    I’m not looking for huge roots just reasonable size – equivalent to what you would buy in the supermarket/green grocer.
    What I’m wondering therefore is which one of these spacings would best suit my aims.

Don.

Don Foley
    Participant

Charles,
    Can I ask what spacing do you use for your carrots, the book is a little unclear to me, and what would you recommend for an each way spacing for Carrots and Parsnips?
    Don.

charles

I give spacings for sowing in rows as that is the simplest way to sow carrot and parsnip. As always the spacings are medium-range suggestions for medium size harvests.
    For each way spacing your 3inch idea should give lots of good size roots.
    Mostly I sow early carrots in 9inch rows, aiming for two roots per inch, and winter carrots in 12 inch rows, say one per inch.
    Parsnips in 12-18 inch rows, and 2-3 inches apart.

Don Foley
    Participant

Thanks Charles.

I sow/plant in wood sided raised beds of 6’x4′ so each way suits me better. It is very easy to weed these by hand and obviously no need to allow space to walk between crops.
    I always struggle with spacing as I always forget to take note of what spacing I used in previous years and what results I got with them.
    I will be more diligent about this aspect from now on.

Don.

Rhys
    Participant

Don

If you are enough of a computer wonk and anorak to consider doing it, Excel spreadsheets are a marvellous way of planning without hassle.

Once you’ve set them up in Year 1, you can make a file copy and change individual cells at will in a few seconds flat if you choose to change things in subsequent years.

I just did it with potatoes last year and my new plan for 2015 took me 5 minutes, changing a few strains and the balance between pot-grown and soil-grown.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi again Charles,

I’m not bad with Excel but I’m not entirely sure how your employing it for your vegetable planning. Any chance you might email me a copy or would it be possible to put it up here?
    If you can’t put it up here and wouldn’t mind emailing me a copy, my email address is don.j.foley@gmail.com.
    I have used excel to plan out successional sowing dates but not for anything else.
    I would be extremely interested to see how you employ it.

Don.

pete
    Participant

Hi Don
    Elliot Coleman advises a 2″ spacing. Your soil needs to be in good condition.
    Pete

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Pete,
    I’m not familiar with Elliot Coleman but I have seen spacings as low as 1″ quoted but I want reasonable sized roots.
    This particular bed had Peas in it up to last September so should have plenty of Nitrogen. Notwithstanding that I added a 2″ layer of well decomposed Garden Compost on top and have had the bed covered with plastic since October so it should be reasonably fertile.

Don.

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Don I also use Excel I merge cells to give beds then paths are one row or column wide and I put each planting in a different colour so that I know the rotations. I use 2 colours per year as I normally have at least 2 crops. However does not help much with spacing.

Don Foley
    Participant

I use excel for planning succession sowings and for rough garden plan but I suspect Charles has a much refined system. I’m hoping he will share.

Don

pete
    Participant

Hi Don
    Elliot Coleman is a well known organic gardener from the US. He has written many books and has been followed by most organic growers. If you look him up on you tube there are many videos all worth watching.
    Pete

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hey Don, I think it’s rtj1211 that is reffering to the use of excel in his crop planning.

I’ve had success with pencil and paper, visualising my plot whilst I work out what will go where, incorporating rotation as much as possible. It’s a process that gets tweaked during the winter months!

Like Pete, I have also enjoyed Elliott Coleman’s books and vids etc. definitely worth a look.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Stringfellow,
    Your absolutely right about the excel. Don’t know what made me think it was Charles.
    I probably hadn’t heard of Elliott Coleman because he is in the US. I tend to stick to Irish & English authors as there advise on sowing/growing tends to be more relevant to my geographic location.
    That said, advise given on sowing dates in the UK tend not to work here in Ireland. We are on average 3-4 weeks later than the UK.

Don.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi All,

Spent some time yesterday and today looking at Elliott Coleman’s Videos. You were absolutely correct he is very informative. Obviously some of what he advocates has to be adapted to suit our particular environments but it was well worth viewing. Indeed I will go back and look at some of them again.
    On the Excel Spreadsheet issue. This to was a revelation but to be honest I think it can be taken way too far. I will continue to use it to do rough plans of my Plot and for planning succession sowing dates and such like. A “Page per Day” Diary and a Pencil should be enough for me anyway!
    Don.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags