Organic Seeds vs Non-Organic Seeds

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Organic Seeds vs Non-Organic Seeds

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Perry
    Participant

I like to grow in the most ‘organic’ way I possibly can, that is I don’t buy any products to stimulate growth or kill pests/ disease etc. I notice many seeds now come with organic certification and a 20% price hike, and wonder if this is really anything more than a marketing gimmick? After all, how much of the seed’s ‘non-organic’ makeup will go into the ‘fruit’ it bears if no chemicals are used on it or in the soil it is grown in?

charles

Hi Perry, interesting question which implicitly raises the question of seed cost, in proportion to the value of produce.
    In my experience seed costs little, relative to what one harvests, so I am happy to pay more for high quality, fresh and if possible organic seed, though sadly this is not always possible.
    Why pay 20% more or whatever the difference is? Because the seed comes from a plant grown in a healthier environment and has more chance from that of showing good vigour and perhaps disease resistance.
    Plus you are supporting organic farming somewhere else.

Perry
    Participant

Good point Charles, I’m very happy to support organic farmers and pay extra for their produce so that should apply to seeds too. In fairness I do opt for organic seeds where possible, and this year I also have a rich selection of swapped and saved seeds which are (so far!) performing outstandingly. I was thinking more about whether it makes any difference to the plants, and you have provided a compelling argument for saying it does. Upon reflection, it makes even more sense to buy organic seeds that may be slightly better adapted to the growing conditions of organically raised plants.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Or save your own Perry, if you have yet to try it. Pea, broadbean and lettuce make a good first year project of saving your own and, generally speaking, they seem to be more vigorous than bought seed. Garlic is another straight forward one and beans for drying provide food and next years seed; it’s time that’s in short supply though, so I will still purchase a lot of seed.

Perry
    Participant

Thanks Stringfellow, I do save seed and have been pleasantly surprised to see how well it does compared to purchased seed, but there’s always something new to try!

I’m on my 2nd year in plot I only started last year, I hadn’t heard about no-dig until recently and being new to ‘serious’ gardening I’m so pleased I have come across this method of growing. There is much to learn, but nice not to have a lot to un-learn too.

Can anyone suggest what to do with this onion that has sprouted? Should it be planted out like garlic?

John
    Participant

Hello, I use certified organic seed and conventional seed (not certified but not guaranteed). I have noticed that organic seed is the stronger of the two. I have used hybrids occasionally. I fed the produce from saved seed to a horse. He liked them. I don’t practice “no dig” but I am using alot of advice from Charles YouTube films. More so with composting. Plus multi sown modules…very impressive. Just to introduce myself, my name is John Devereaux, I am Irish. I studied once upon a time…Food Science graduate and postgraduate in another food (culinary) topic. Regarding organic seeds, they strive.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Its difficult to identify from a photo; its probably going to bolt(flower) as its overwintered. There would be some benefit to pot it up and then use the leafshoots as scallions before your spring onions are ready-April?
    Against the possibility that its realy a shallot or clumping onion, you could plant it out.Presumably you know its source, which may determine.
    If you’ve small people, they may enjoy growing it over a jamjar of water, seeing its roots and shoots develop.

charles

Perry, I would eat that onion soon, it’s on the way to seeding, after making edible leaves.
    Onions are storage organs to feed new growth in spring and then a seedhead in summer.

Nice to meet you here John, thanks for your comments.

John
    Participant

Hello Charles and thank you. Above anything, your composting philosophy wins. I compost here and for several years, I have one specific heap made 90 percent if not more of just lawn mowed grass…other piles have mixed materials, straw etc.

John
    Participant

Good question about non organic chemical carry over in the conventional seeds make up. Phew, I assume it is carried over into the genetic make up of the plant. The chemicals are added for many purposes, needless to say to alter the seeds susceptibility to a multitude of intrinsic and extrinsic factors. If the seed just simply breaks dormancy because if miisture, warmth, air and nutrients…then question the impact of chemical treatments on the seeds metabolism ?!. I will read up on that myself.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags