Organising seeds

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Organising seeds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mart

Hi Charles,

Maybe a weird/dumb question but how do you organize seeds? I have quite a lot of different things (loads of salads) to check out or just mainstays. Do you have small containers with the seeds in there? SPotted something like that in your new
    book. On page 111 I also spotted mizuna, mustard and pak choi but two plants per ‘module’ Do you seed/plant them out like that?

Thanks,
    Mart

charles

Yes I have a lot of seed packets too! and pigeon hole them by month of sowing, which is great for being prompted to sow what is in season, but not always so brilliant when looking for certain seeds! Carrots and beetroot for example, which can be sown over a long period. Salads I keep separately.

Yes well spotted, I planted two per station last autumn of many salads, especially the fast growers and those with large leaves, to have a greater number of smaller leaves. Also I do three or four sometimes: but commercially, where speed of picking is important, I find that two works well, mostly for rockets, spinach, many herbs and orientals. Always one for lettuce, endive, chicory.

Pete Budd
    Participant

Our Chinese takeaway serves their food in plastic containers with lids. They are just the right size and each one holds a few seed packets. I had people saving them for me and now have lots. In my garage is an old chest of drawers and the top drawer is for seeds in said containers, laid out alphabetically, (sad or what?)

mart

Thx as always for the swift reply.
    If I may, glad to hear your organising system is not always brilliant, exactly the problem I have. Some plants can be sown over a longer period specially here in Italy.
    Did you make those wooden boxes where you keep seeds in yourself?
    I have tried a sowing spreadsheet but it is a lot of work and in the end I never look at it hence my question.

Good idea, I’ll give it a go. I got wild rocket, really wild, they are seeds from the plants you find in the fields so the real wild rocket not the cultivated wild. Let me know if you’d like to try it out. I didn’t yet, will sow some today.
    My tomatoes are getting to big! Don’t know what happened this year they have to go out soon or I’ll be growing them hydrophonic.
    Does Amaranth grow where you are btw?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags