Outdoor cucumbers – wigwams or on the ground

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Outdoor cucumbers – wigwams or on the ground

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  devonstew 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

I am growing outdoor Burpless Tasty Green for the first time and the advice is to grow either along the ground or up a wigwam with some stout netting. It seems to be a toss up between ravaging by slugs or strong winds! What would you suggest?

John

charles

You sum it up well, wind or slugs, though slugs don’t say cucumbers too much, here at least. In windy Exmouth I suggest ground-growing.

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

Thank you the advice. For Exmouth the Met Office is forecastins gusts of up to 50mph early next week, and even Castle Carey’s forecast is not much quieter. Perhaps the slugs will be blown away.

John

ElizaD
    Participant

I too am undecided about growing my outdoor cucumbers along the ground or up a trellis so will probably do some of each and judge from results which worked best! A question I have is do I need to pinch out the growing tip after about seven pairs of leaves have formed or is this not necessary? Some places I’ve looked for info mention this but not others.

ElizaD
    Participant

Please can anyone advise on whether or not to pinch out the growing tip – see my question above?

charles

I think it depends how you want to train the plant, I don’t pinch it out, let it ramble.

devonstew
    Participant

I grew my cucs along the ground last year – marketmore was the variety – and just let them go wild. worked fine, slugs really weren’t interested in them….i’m going to try growing up this year to compare, but I think it may be pointless….!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags