Outdoor Tomato blight

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Outdoor Tomato blight

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jakchris 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Asif
    Participant

Hi Charles

Pretty much all my outdoor tomato plants (around 30 or so) seem to have been struck by blight.

Do you know of anything I can do to save some of the harvest? Should I remove all seemingly unaffected tomatoes to ripen indoors or should I leave them on the stems after removing all leaves? Pretty sure there’s blight even on some of the stems.

Any advice appreciated.

Asif

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vivian G
    Participant

Hi Asif,

When first signs of blight appear on tomatoes it’s usually already too late to do anything. With yours it’s definitely reached the fruit, which means it’s not worth picking the green ones. Because even if they don’t look it, they are infected, too and will get brown spots sooner or later. Sorry!
    Next year try blight-tolerant varieties such as Primabella, Primavera and Resi. They are the first results from a project of the University of Göttingen in Germany. Seeds are available through https://culinaris-saatgut.de/en/shop/ They ship to England and you can pay via paypal. See my photo attached: It shows Primabella in comparison to Rotkäppchen, a determined variety usually grown in pots. I didn’t have time to do any pruning on Primabella and when I planted them they almost died due to sunburn. They only just started cropping but are enormously vigorous as you can see. I’ll definitely have some more next year.
    As a general rule it can be said that the bigger the fruit on the tomato the higher the risk of blight infection. That is also the reason why varieties such as the tiny Golden Currant and Rote Murmel (we call them wild tomatoes in German) stay healthy when grown outdoors. The genetic tolerance of blight seems to be linked to fruit size.

Attachments:

Asif
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to reply Vivian. Really appreciate the detailed advice.

charles

Brilliant post Vivian and I echo your appreciation of those varieties, would add Dorada too, for yellow fruits of delicious flavour. I am featuring them in the next update.

A word on Asif’s photo: most of the spots I can see do not look like blight, which is more dramatic and general, usually starting on edges of leaves where water sits the longest. However if the stems are turning brown, that is blight, and usually some fruit are rotting by then. Asif, do you have another photo?

Asif
    Participant

Hi Charles

I’m a little more optimistic after your post. There is another attachment (without a thumbnail) showing a blackened tomato in the original post. I’ve attached another photo showing what looks to me like infected tomatoes.

Many thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Asif

Attachments:

charles

Ah yes I see that is clearly blight in your original post, the photo without thumbnail.
    Still some of the plants are not totally affected, worth breaking off all affected leaves and picking affected fruits to compost, though I suspect you may not have much harvest.

jakchris
    Participant

Hi. I am new to veg growing. Last year I lost all my beautiful tomatoes to blight. This year I grew them in a polytunnel and suffered blight again!

What I did do was remove all the green fruit and at home submerged them in a weak bleach solution to see if killing the spores on the outside would save some. So far about 80% have ripened nicely but still have a lot still have two stacking trays to go. Does anyone else do this? Is this just luck?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags