Outdoor tomatoes.

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Outdoor tomatoes.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles, having been given a range of tomato plants this year I have an excess…not a problem I’m averse to 🙂 so, using some bamboo canes I have created a simple wigwam to grow them up, but outside. Would a simple clear polythene wind shield be worth the trouble to help them grow better, or is it simply a gamble with outdoor toms and I should just let them do the best they can? There’s plenty else to be doing in the veg garden.

Many thanks, Tris

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Tris,

I grow my Tomatoes outdoors here in Ireland and it is indeed a gamble. You wont get a crop as good as that grown in a tunnel or greenhouse. But I think it is still worth the effort.
    I would make two observations on your wigwam.
    Tomatoes need to be planted 2 – 3′ apart for good air circulation. You don’t want a humid environment around the base of the plants as this creates the ideal environment for blight and other diseases. Airflow is also improved if you remove all the leaves below the first truss.
    As for support, you will need something more robust than a bamboo. The wind plays havoc with these plants especially when laden with fruit.
    I have a frame from which I tie strings down to each plant. As the plants grow I twist them around the string. The same system employed in greenhouses/tunnels.

Don.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Don, being my first effort for outside growing this is helpful. I’ll make sure the structure is strong and allow adequate spacing for airflow. Just wondered about reducing wind speed as they are unlikely to enjoy this, hence the idea of a two foot high barrier around them, though this will limit airflow! Decisions, decisions….

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Tris,

The wind is certainly a major consideration. For a windbreak use something porous rather than solid, for example Debris Netting. The aim is to reduce the wind speed rather than try to block it completely. A solid break could create more problems with eddies coming over the top which will be more destructive.
    I erect mine at about 6′ away from the plants in the path of the prevailing wind.
    It also does not need to be a permanent feature. I only put mine up when we get warnings of particularly
    gusty conditions.

Don.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags