Oversized broccoli plants with no spears

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Oversized broccoli plants with no spears

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Deborah 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

PeterM
    Participant

Hi,

I never thought I would have this problem. In Feb/March i sowed 8 summer purple sprouting broccoli plants. They have grown well and I gave them some pellets a couple of times. However they are now 4 feet high but still no sign of any purple sprouting broccoli.

The broccoli are taking up valuable space – will I ever get something out of them?

Cheers
    Peter

charles

What beautiful plants Peter!
    I think its a seed-packet mistake, may well be purple sprouting for next spring.
    If its what the seed packet says, you should have had more than a few spears by now, from plants of that size.
    They will be difficult to net against pigeons overwinter too, and be very long by then, maybe let them fall down and recline on the soil, don’t feed any more!

PeterM
    Participant

Ok will keep em till spring and do as you suggest. Thanks for your help charles

PaulM
    Participant

I bought these as plug plants last October from Wyvale Nuseries. They were called White Brocolli, but have still produced nothing. Being sold off in October I imagined they would produce florets in spring, but still waiting. Should I just pull them out or is it worth waiting.

charles

Hi Paul, you look well organised and the plants are healthy. In fact they look like Brussels, except no sprouts I can see.
    Unusual that they went through spring without flowering into broccoli or whatever.
    Can you find out more from Wyevale? Although a dud so far, they must do something soon! Or have you tried the leaves, as with perennial kale?

PeterM
    Participant

UPDATE ON ORIGINAL POST:
    They are coming! Think they were probably a seed packet mistake – thanks Charles. Should have enough Broccoli for half of Shepton Mallet!

charles

Peter, many thanks for your update and great news.
    The many types of broccoli!

Di
    Participant

Thank you PeterM. I remembered your original post when i too was despairing about lack of spears on my PSB. Planted 5 last April (not a vegaetable i’d seen in Australia!) so i was uncertain about it’s growing pattern or even if we would enjoy eating it!

Watched it grow to 5-6ft, height was a bit unexpected i must say, but i put that down to good soil preparation last year (initial year). It looked good all the way through winter with the plants looking strong and healthy. Mid February and still nothing showed. Well, imagine my delight this morning when i discovered the beginning of heads in each of them. I was close to pulling them out as i needed the space. Just go to show me that the magic ingredient in gardening is patience.

I’m assuming the spear will appear down the stalks as well at the leaf axils? Is that correct?

PeterM
    Participant

Hey Di, great news. Im no expert with Broccoli, but yes spears will appear down the stalk. I have read its best to cut the middle spear first (once developed) and this promotes growth of others.

PaulM
    Participant

Well, I left one of my white broccoli in the ground just for interest, and low and behold after nigh on 18 months we have florets. Not a lot for the time and space. I’ve not had much success with Broccoli . Should I leave it longer or is this ready to harvest.
    Paul.

charles

Paul, they look lovely.
    Still it’s a puzzle how they did not produce last year!
    Yes they are ready to harvest, it’s a multi-floret plant with small spears and that is a good harvest. Pick all the buds with full buds, before they are too long and before their stems become tough.
    Then you should have another crop of smaller broccoli, and more until perhaps early May.

Nick
    Participant

Pleased to hear of success finally. I love PSB and sowed two varieties last spring, one for year end crop and the other to follow on. Despite growing well and looking healthy, no crop last year and a mere handful so far this year (from a dozen plants). Most of the plants now only look fit for the compost heap. The plants have been netted, so birds not an issue. Any ideas what may have gone wrong? I’m keen to try again this year. Many thanks

charles

Sorry to hear this, Nick, what are the varieties and when sown?

Nick
    Participant

Thank you Charles. I sowed Lancer Mixed and Red Fire F1. As for when, I couldn’t say as unfortunately up to now I’ve not kept written records. What I can confidently say from photos is that on the 4th June they were healthy plants about 12″ high. Just as well I now have your diary which I think is excellent.

charles

I don’t know either of those but they should be thriving now, not miserable.
    Lancer Mixed says harvest time is Nov-May, makes no sense to me as winter broccoli is good only in frost free areas.
    Maybe you are frost free in winter.
    Point being it’s not saving itself for early spring when you want it and it’s prolific.
    I recommend Claret and sow in June, no earlier. Harvest mostly April-early May. Mine are budding now, not ready yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags