Overwintered Broad Beans

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Overwintered Broad Beans

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Sheppard 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mike Sheppard
    Participant

In November 2017 I planted Sutton Dwarf & Aquaduce Claudia in Green Waste Compost in two different raised beds. In both cases all but two of the beans have grown. I lifted some and found that the bean had rooted & split open as if it had shooted but there was no shoot, the only sign of growth was the roots. Would the likely cause be slugs or were they not viable? They were from freshly opened packs. Thanks, Mike

charles

Hard to say Mike, it sounds like something ate the top growth but slugs are not partial to broad bean leaves or stems.
    Problems are more with seeds being eaten but yours sound ok.
    Maybe it was old seed, even though you opened the packets fresh. I would sow again, in modules.

Mike Sheppard
    Participant

Thanks Charles, I have sown again in modules. Just seemed odd that it happened exactly the same with two different beans in two different beds! They were planted in 100% green waste compost over undug soil. The very odd thing is that I planted approx 20 Aquaduce & 10 Sutton Dwarf in separate beds and in both cases 3 plants have germinated (although very weak growth), Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags