Overwintering Beans

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Overwintering Beans

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Mike Sheppard
    Participant

I’m new to gardening. I’ve planted Aquadulce Claudia beans for an early 2018 harvest. Do I expect to see shoots before the spring and do I need to fleece it (I’m in Somerset and we don’t get a lot of heavy frosts, mainly occasional ground frost)

Cleansweep
    Participant

It would be expected that the seeds you have planted, will germinate in 14 -21 days and ideally grow to 15cm or so, slowing as the days reduce and cool. They will then become semi-dormant and may benefit from cloche cover, to reduce wind damage and the effects of heavy rainfall. Slug control is recommended. Once Spring establishes, they will hopefully grow away and flower to co-incide with early pollinators, in April
    If they do not emerge within the timescale suggested, I would dig a few up to discover their condition, preparing to start replacements in pots to plant out in February. Mice and voles can also explain no-shows!
    Personally, I wait to pursue the fall back option, my site is exposed to wind and voles.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags