Overwintering Globe Artichokes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Overwintering Globe Artichokes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hawfinch 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

UdoS
    Participant

Hello Charles ,
    I try to grow Globe artichokes since several years, but they rarely make it through the winter. I am living in Germany near Cologne, I think the climate is similar to Somerset (maybe winters are colder). Any recommendations how to succeed ?
    Do you you grow them outside or in Polytunnel?

charles

Udo, mine are outside and our winters are milder I think. Its rare to have colder than -7C. In northern UK gardeners cover the dormant artichokes with straw, until spring.

UdoS
    Participant

Ok, I will try this
    Thank you Charles

Hawfinch
    Participant

Normally it says to cut down the artichokes in autumn, I’ve never had any luck with this as they always rot. Recently I read that it is now recommended not cutting them down, does anybody have any experience with this, how would you recommend overwintering them? If one covers them, like Charles writes they do in colder climates, should one cut or not?

Dalesman
    Participant

Our first year we used bracken to keep them cosy and some survived but quite a few rotted. Now I do nothing (a lovely technique), and it’s rare to lose any.
    We’re at 600 ft in Derbyshire so quite cold and considerably wet.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Thanks Dalesman, do nothing is always a great way to do things so I’l try that out this year. Where I live is probably milder than where you are, so hopefully, I won’t lose any. Although I do think wet is probably more of a problem than cold.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags