Parsnips and carrots

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Parsnips and carrots

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Budd 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tflower

I’ve sown parsnip (gladiator) and carrot (early Nantes) in very clean soil this weekend in raised beds.
    The soil was obviously nice and damp. If this dry weather does continue for the next week or so (I’m in Sussex) will I need to water lightly or will the seeds be okay? Thanks.

charles

Sounds promising.  One can’t say for sure, it depends how much wind and sun, how firm your seedbed is. The carrots should send down roots faster than it dries but if it is dry for more than a week, I would water the parsnips as they need moisture for up to two weeks until roots can go find it.

Pete Budd
    Participant

Thats a very good question and one that has vexed me considerably since spring weather nowadays is so variable. On the sandy soil I garden on, if its too cold and wet I end up re-sowing, if its dry seeds will not germinate. The weather can change very quickly and optimum conditions may be rare. So last year I knocked together some frames from fence boards 240cm x 12cm. I place the frames across the bed, sow the seeds, cover with old potting compost and water in with a very fine spray. The frames offer protection from drying wind, the compost covering doesn`t blow away and watering is more effective.

Cheers

Pete

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags