Parsnips

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SpadelessAde 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

TracyM
    Participant

Good morning all, lovely day!!!

I have sown two lots of two rows of parsnips and three have come up (enough for my christmas lunch ……) has anyone ever tried germinating them in deep modules? I know the books say that they do not like root disturbance but surely if you you used root trainers and were carefull do you think it would work? Some books also say that beetroot doesn’t like root disturbance but my module grown beets are looking lovely (the only things the magpies/rain haven’t destroyed!)
    What do you all think? It’s not just me btw the whole site has had low germination.

Tracy :0)

SpadelessAde
    Participant

I have sown them successfully many times in paper pots (made from newspaper and using one of those paper potters) and then planted the whole thing in the ground – that’s worked fine for me as it doesn’t disturb the roots.
    SpadelessAde

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Tracy
    Firstly Im sure that you are aware parsnip seed dosent last long so I buy a new batch each year to ensure germination.

Secondly there is a ‘halfway’ to growing in pots and that is to ‘chit’ them on a damp kitchen towel then when they are showing signs of growth plant out.

Also some fellow allotment holders had a similar problem and took the thinnings from other people. Im a bit sceptical as to this working but they appear to be confident that it has worked before.

TracyM
    Participant

OOh I like the idea of paper pots so as not to disturb the roots, that way they will never know they were moved. may try that too :0)

Tracy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags